Where to start?

Re: Where to start?

by Mark Trimble -
Number of replies: 0
At http://erc.mscd.edu/star/star_sample_20041206.zip you'll find a zip file containing the Access version of my app and an accompanying directory called "files". This "files" directory needs to reside in the same directory as the database; it contains images and other types of files used or "stored" (path only) in the database.

In the database you'll see some "STAR" prefixed tables and a series of tables with a "META" prefix. As you might expect, the META tables contain information about the application. These META tables are just a skeleton right now; more information still needs to be added.

Though cryptic at first, I think you'll see the hierarchical nature of my naming conventions. I've come to like formulaic naming conventions; a little difficult to learn at first, but more rational when databases get large and more complex over time. Until you get used to the acronyms, the META form is useful for looking up full table names.

Basically, the structure this STAR (my highly original acronym for Standards-based Teaching, Assessment, and Reporting) system has four sub-schema:

Administration
Content
Person
Validation

The Administration (_A) schema tables possess all institutional specific information including school, department, program, section, and gradebook data. Significantly, this includes program conceptual frameworks defining desired learning outcomes which are aligned with relevant performance standard sets drawn from the Validation schema (below).

The Content (_C) schema tables possess all shared curriculum data including course titles, descriptions, content, instructional plans, assessments, rubrics, and resources. Significantly, this includes course and lesson objectives and rubric criteria aligned with program outcomes drawn from the Administration schema (above).

The Person (_P) schema tables possess all person specific data which is independent of the Administration schema. All persons reside here, student, staff, and faculty alike; roles are defined in the Administration schema.

The Validation (_V) schema tables possess look-up data used throughout the other three schema. Significantly, this includes all performance standard sets.

The approach I've taken with this permits a comprehensive analysis of academic programs from curriculum coverage to standards-based student performance.

As you might expect, I have tons more to say about this, but I'll stop for now and get this thing posted!

Cheers!