Will IE6 cause problems in a Moodle using Hot Pots and Quizport?

Will IE6 cause problems in a Moodle using Hot Pots and Quizport?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 2
A group that is stuck with using IE6 wants to develop some coursework, so does anybody know the answer to this? --

Does Internet Explorer 6 work in a Moodle 1.9+ course that uses Hot Potatoes quizzes and Quizports? Are there any known problems that IE6 creates? Are there any known workarounds or cautions?

Don't ask me why they're stuck with IE6. IT departments move (or don't move) in mysterious ways.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Will IE6 cause problems in a Moodle using Hot Pots and Quizport?

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gerald,

I have tested all my Hot Potatoes/Quizports in IE6.

The main problem I found was with quizzes with a reading text, when displayed in the Moodle Navigation Bar.  If the quiz is quite wide IE6 might not like it and it will be impossible to progress with the quiz.  There are ways of getting round this - use no navigation or make the quiz narrower.   Apart from that IE6 does display some of the fonts a bit big - but the quizzes are all functional.  And I have all sorts of modifications, so I think you should be OK.

IE tester  allows to to test in IE5-8 and I found it very useful. 

Deborah

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Will IE6 cause problems in a Moodle using Hot Pots and Quizport?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Gerald,

as Deborah says, the HP quizzes administered by HotPot/QuizPort modules may display slightly differently in IE6, because of the idiosyncratic stylesheets (CSS) implementaiton in IE6, but the functionality of the quiz should be no different from that of the same quiz in standards-compliant browsers.

As always, if anyone reports significant differences with the way HotPot/QuizPort activities display or behave on particular browsers, I will do my best to find a fix or workaround.

regards
Gordon