General plugins

New Virtual Programming Lab (VPL) module

Picture of Michael Tanczos
Roadmap for 3.1?

I was curious as to what you were exploring for 3.1 - Is there any type of roadmap you are working with?   Also, I know there is another code-related plugin for moodle that integrates automated code-checking into quiz questions.   However the java code that is run is done directly on the server, which I'm not too keen on.

Is there any documentation on how to utilize the jail server as well?   It might be neat to have a suite of both assessment and assignment types that can utilize the jail server.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino
Re: Roadmap for 3.1?

Hello Michael,
the 3.1 version is almost ready, but will not bring big news:
1) New web service. This will allow to write external clients for VPL (for example: an Eclipse plugin).
2) Adapt the code to running in Moodle 2.6 and 2.7
3) Add default script for Lua, D, Clojure and lisp languages
4) Add support for regular expressions to the default evaluation program
5) Update to noVNC 0.4-173. This fix the keyboard problem
6) Fix minor errors.
At this moment there are isn't a Jail server API documentation. But if some people is really interested in using the jail server for other purposes I will write the docs. In any case, it will be of low priority for me at this moment. You always can deduct the API by reading the code of the module.

Best regards
Juan Carlos

Picture of CSE Batch

Sir, i get this error, 

how to sole please help..

Failed to construct 'WebSocket': The URL 'ws:///52551982455300/monitor' is invalid.

It seems that you have some configuration problem.

Please, show me the "Execution servers list" that you set in the VPL plugin general configuration and the file "vpl-jail-system.conf" in the execution server.

Best regards

Picture of Dilvan Moreira

Hi,

Very nice plugin! I am a professor at University of São Paulo (Brazil). We would like to be able to have questions taken from a list of programming questions. Similarly to what the moodle question engine does with the question bank. I have a student working on this. We would like to change your plugin to add this feature and contribute it back to the project. We would like to know:

1. Would it be better to rewrite part of the plugin as a question type? So the plugin could be instantiated as an assignment or a question type.

2.  Or would it be better to add the features of a question list and question draw (randomly choosing one or more questions) in the assignment plugin?

In either case, any advice in how to tackle the problem will be very welcomed.

Dilvan.

Hi Dilvan,
I think that the better solution is to create e new type of question.
The possibility of using VPL activities (or similar) as quiz questions would be a very good feature. To take advantage of the VPL infrastructure I think that the good balance should be create a type of question that use VPL as test provider for the defined questions. VPL don't has this feature then you (we) need to establish and write an API at VPL to accomplish this function.
Best regards.

Picture of Rahul Garg

Hi Dilvan,

I am a faculty from India.  I am working with a student for exactly the same feature -- VPL based questions for quizzes. I am wondering if it will be possible to join hands to accomplish this quickly (would like to have this feature before the fall semester starts). Please let me know.

Thanks,

- R