General plugins

Picture of Pragati Dhingra
Re: Unable to run Java programs

Apologies for delayed reply.

I am still struggling to get this running. If I use the default value or any value up to 180m, I get insufficient memory error

Comments The compilation or preparation of execution has failed # # There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue. # pthread_getattr_np # An error report file with more information is saved as: # /home/p13490/hs_err_pid2714.log ./vpl_run.sh: line 18: 2714 Aborted (core dumped) javac -J-Xmx180m -Xlint:deprecation *.java Not compiled

and for 190m or greater, I get this

Comments The compilation or preparation of execution has failed Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap Could not create the Java virtual machine. Not compiled

I used the same script as what you attached in your previous post and only updated the memory parameter on line 18

There is ample free memory (>3GB). Here is a current snapshot using top

KiB Mem:   4099148 total,   340096 used,  3759052 free,     7844 buffers
KiB Swap:  1999996 total,        0 used,  1999996 free,   158476 cached

I am not sure what else I should be trying.

Average of ratings: -

It finally worked. It seems that VPL does not like 64 bit jail servers.

I created a new Ubuntu 32 bit jail server and it worked just fine.

I had another question though. Jail server uses Java 6 by default and I want to use features of Java 7. If I just install Java 7 would it work out fine or are there some other configurations that I should update?

I modified the install-sh file to install openjdk-7 instead of openjdk-6 and everything worked out fine.

I love VPL. smile

Picture of Juan Carlos Rodríguez-del-Pino

Apologies for delayed reply.

I have not tested Java7 in a jail server and  I don't know if it has problems.
I you test it, please tell us your experience.
Best regards.

I am able to use Java 7 features fine. I haven't rolled out VPL to students yet. Will get to know more as it gets tested extensively. I shall keep you posted.