Editor Lite?

Editor Lite?

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers

Janne et al.,

Would it be possible to run two versions of the editor?  I think there are too many icons/options for my users--could I run a lite version of the editor for users while still running the regular version for teachers?  Could I call one htmlarea.php file for users and one for teachers?  (Or, better yet, have the option of choosing which version to use when adding activities that use the editor--just fantasizing here.)

TIA

Chardelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Editor Lite?

by Janne Mikkonen -
At the moment you can disable buttons globally (ver 1.5.dev), but you certainly hit the nerve there.
Attachment hidebuttons.jpg
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Chardelle Busch -

Hi Janne,

Well, that is a step in the right direction.  At least with 1.5 we will be able to get rid of some of those we don't use. (But it still would be nice to have a student version.)

by N Hansen -
I agree with Chardelle. Having separate student and teacher versions would be useful.

by Janne Mikkonen -
Something like this maybe?

- Janne -
Attachment hidebuttons.png

by Ray Lawrence -
Initially when I saw this thread I thought the whole concept was unnecessary having wrongly imagined cut down alternative editors. Having seen these screen shots I now get the idea and I like it very much!

Ray

by N Hansen -
Looks good. So "global" applies to everything but students, i.e. admins and teachers?  But why are there the check boxes for font etc. at the top of the student version only?
In reply to N Hansen

by Janne Mikkonen -
Noup big grin, "Global" applies to everybody and student applies only students.  The final settings for students are globals + student settings.

Why only student part have the "fontname", "fontsize" and "format" checkboxes? Because the whole thing is still under development process. Those checkboxes will be on all version at the end.

by W Page -
Hi Janne!

Again you work your magic.  Thank you for being so responsive.

I have been a bit quiet but I do read the posts.  School has me running.  They use Blackboard at school.  I am forced to use IE to use the HTML editor and it is no where near as good as this one.

BTW, it looks like things have cooled off at work??? smile

WP1

by Jeff Wood -
YES PLEASE!
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Chardelle Busch -

Thanks Jannekiss,

I try to make things as simple as possible for my non-computer savvy users (I have students in their 70's).  I really would only like my students to have a few basic font options and the emoticons.  Although I can't say I've really had complaints, I was just thinking that all of these icons could be intimidating (and slow down page loading?) 

This would be really great!

by Ger Tielemans -

We are using 1.3.4 and the intelligence of the editor is killing us:

We (=our teachers) create courses on one school and then copy the course to another location with other rights. In the old Moodle we could set relativ paths, the html-editor is changing this in absolute paths, a real disaster if you login as student: none of the "repaired" links is working.. 

I kown how to workaround this problem: do never use the html-editor, but I cannot sell this to the WYSIWYG teacher..

Can you switch off this path-repair-operation too?

In the backup the resources are copied to the new course, but the course-id in the paths are not adapted..

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In Moodle 1.4.x this is not a problem, because backup/restore translates those links properly to the new courseid.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -
Great!!, Works fine in 1.4.3, now we will move!!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Janne! - a little feature request from me ... what I need is a way to specify editor functions on the fly.

For example, I'm just working on the Messaging discussion form and would like to put a slimmed-down editor in there ... the main editor is a little unwieldy in this little window.

It would be great to be able to pass a comma-separated list of functions to print_textarea(). This would open the way to a user preference in future where each user can choose the buttons they want for certain contexts.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Janne Mikkonen -
Well I've had a real urge to change the print_textarea funciton for a long time now. It'd be better if the function could take dynamic parameters, so we could make it much more easier to create different types of settings for the editor.

- Janne -

Re: Editor Lite? Patches for daredevils???

by Janne Mikkonen -
At this point testing and commenting these new features would be nice wink

If one haven't used patches before here is a fast how to:
patch origfile < patchfile

If you're using Windows I suggest that you should visit at the http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net and download some real powertools for your Windows machine.

patches:
/moodle/lib/weblib.php -> weblib.php.patch
/moodle/lib/editor/htmlarea.php -> htmlarea.php.patch
/moodle/admin/editor.php -> editor.php.patch
/moodle/admin/editor.html -> editor.html.patch
/moodle/user/edit.html -> edit.html.patch
/moodle/theme/<themeyourusing>/style.php -> style.php.patch

Cheers,
Janne

ps. Do not use in production servers...

for developers:
To pass your own config for the editor, first create a config: