Problem - installing current moodle 1.9 version of feedback

Problem - installing current moodle 1.9 version of feedback

by Ishara de Garis -
Number of replies: 10
Hi. I've managed to get a moodle installation working fine. I wanted to add the feedback module so I've downloaded the package and then uploaded the feedback (mod) folder & all contents to the mod folder in my moodle installation.
I get notification that all tables have install successfully.
I open my course and add a feedback activity.
When I click on 'save and display' I'm automatically logged out of moodle and bounced back out to the home page...
The new feedback activity is now listed in my course, but when I try to access it to add questions the same thing happens each time.
Tried deleting everything and re-uploading and re-installing, no change, still the same problem.
I really want to be able to implement the feedback module but I haven't the technical skills to troubleshoot this one.
Advice anyone please?
regards,
Ishara
(Perth, Western Australia)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ishara de Garis

Re: Problem - installing current moodle 1.9 version of feedback

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Ishara,

can you tell me the version of moodle and of the feedback-module?
The version of moodle you can see on the notification-page in the "Site Administration" Block. The version of the feedback-module you can find on "Site Administration" -> "Modules" -> "Activities" -> "Manage Activities".
You also can switch on the debug-mod to show more informations to this error.
This you can do on "Site Administration" -> "Server" -> "Debugging". Choose "All" on the dropdownlist "Debug messages" and set the tick on "Display debug messages".

Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Ishara de Garis -
Thanks Andreas,

Here's my details:-

Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100317)

Feedback module version 2008050121

Turned on debug but it just logs me back out and takes me straight to front page without displaying any messages.

Ishara
In reply to Ishara de Garis

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,

is the setting "display errors" set to on in your php-configuration?
Without this you will not see any debug messages.
Additionally can you check the permission-setting? Did you have this behavior while you were logged in as admin or as teacher?

Andreas

by Mark Watson -
I am migrating a course from a development environment to production where there is a new Moodle build (Moodle 1.9.9+ (Build: 20100922)).

I downloaded the feedback package released today (October 1, 2010) and installed it. WHen I selected Notifications I got a blank screen. I turned on debugging and received a parse error in line 774 of mod/lib.php - "/" expected.

I deleted the package and then uploaded a previous version which has loaded OK. This version is 2008050121.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Mark,

can you give me some infos about your system (what os, php and so on)?
You wrote there was an output:
...parse error in line 774 of mod/lib.php...
In moodle there exists no such file.

Andreas

by Mark Watson -
Hi Andreas,

OS is GNU/Linux 6.10
Moodle: 1.9.9+ (Build 20100922)
MySQL: 5.0.51
PHP: 5.2.6.1.9
All required extensions present.

My apologies for the incorrect pathname - it was very late when I wrote this post.
The file is lib.php in the mod/feedback directory.
Line 774 is require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/'.$dir.'/'.$name.'/lib.php');
and it's exactly the same in both versions of the feedback package.

The latest package is getting or lacking a "/" in an input somewhere causing the Notification problem, a parse error of some kind.

In reply to Mark Watson

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Mark,

hm, that is very strange sad.
I just don't know on what situation php is expecting a "/" ???
Can you please put the full error-message? That means a copy of the shown text.
In addition you can check the directory "feedback/item". Only the following directories should be there:
captcha
info
label
multichoice
multichoicerated
numeric
textarea
textfield

Andreas

by Mark Watson -
Hi Andreas.

The directories you mentioned are all there and are the only directories there.

I had previously installed your earlier version of feedback so I deleted it from the application and then deleted the feedback directories in mod and block.

I then uploaded the new version and loged in to hit Notification and everything worked.
The problem is that when I go to "Manage Activities" the version of Feedback is 2008050125 and in "Manage Blocks" it is 2009050701 - I'm not sure what is happening here. I doubt that I have replicated the problem.
In reply to Mark Watson

by Andreas Grabs -

Hi Mark,

if I understand you right so all things are ok?
The differend versions for block and activity are ok. With the feedback-package come two plugins, the feedback-block and the feedback-activity. The feedback-block is an additional plugin to extend the feedback-module. It has an own version-number.

Andreas

by Mark Watson -

Hi Andreas,

While I still don't understand what happened, I am OK now.  Thanks for your help.