Viewing courses and Default role for users in course

Viewing courses and Default role for users in course

by Tom S -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I'm having a lot of problems with the ability to view courses. Our institution is very small and only runs one programme, though has almost two hundred options within this. Though all users will not be taking the same options, I would like them to be able to view other options at will. Below are scenarios of the problems I have encountered and I wonder if someone may have a better idea of how to go about dealing with the transparency and freedom of movement I require?

Please - any suggestions welcome!

SCENARIO 1

Default role for users in course: Student

User logs in.

User navigates to course page

User asked ‘You are about to enrol yourself as a member of this course. Are you sure you wish to do this?

User selects ‘YES’

User is now enrolled on to the course as a STUDENT

Implications:

· User is now indistinguishable from students taking the course. Difficulty in teacher sending out messages to their class is increased.

· User has course appear on their home page, and ‘my courses’ section of profile.

SCENARIO 2

Default role for users in course: Authenticated user

User logs in.

User asked ‘You are about to enrol yourself as a member of this course. Are you sure you wish to do this?

User selects ‘YES’

User is UNABLE to enrol on course.

Implications:

· User is UNABLE to view any course other than those they have been actively enrolled in by an Administrator.

Possible fix: Administrator changes ‘Authenticated User’ role definition to allow ‘VIEW COURSES’.

User logs in.

User selects ‘YES’

User is able to view course. They are enrolled as an ‘AUTHENTICATED USER’ and are distinguishable from STUDENTS in the course.

Implications:

· User is now automatically enrolled on EVERY course within the Moodle. This creates a large list in the ‘my courses’ section of the home page, and its alias field in the profile view.

Possible Fix: All students are assigned the role of AUTHENTICATED USER at System level, and this is set as a ‘hidden role assignment’. This would hide any AUTHENTICATED USERS from the course participants list. The problem with ‘my courses’ remains.

SCENARIO 3

Default role for users in course: Guest

All courses must be set to allow guest access

User logs in.

User able to view any course without hassle.

Implications:

· ANY member of the public could view course pages. Security issues.

Possible fix: Allow guest access, but require enrolment key. This could be common throughout the institute.

User logs in.

User able to view any course when then enter the enrolment key. GUEST users are distinguished from STUDENTS enrolled in the course.

Implications:

· Restricts free movement. Clunky. Possible security risks.

Average of ratings: -