hidden "turned off" activity counts toward max aggregation?

hidden "turned off" activity counts toward max aggregation?

by Matt Vernon -
Number of replies: 9
If an activity's has been turned off "hide" (not hidden grades but eye ball checked closed at the topics section level) it appears to still count towards a course total. For the record I am using 1.9.7, simple weighted mean and have a a single category. How do i exclude those points from affecting the aggregate grade. Is there a simple setting like in 1.8? or do i need to create a new category and make the multiplyer zero and move them in there.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
-Matt
In reply to Matt Vernon

Re: hidden "turned off" activity counts toward max aggregation?

by Susan Mangan -
I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong... but I'm pretty sure that all you need to do for simple weighted mean is to close the eye of the activity in the gradebook as well and then the activity is hidden from the students' view as well as not counted in the total aggregate.
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Matt Vernon -
That does not seem to effect the overall grade.
In reply to Matt Vernon

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Matt,
Susan is right, you need to hide the activity and then the grade as well in the gradebook.
But also in 1.9.7 one cannot exclude hidden grade items from aggregation.
(in 1.9.8 you can)
Take a look at FAQ 7 here for another workaround smile You are correct, you need to use sub-categories and then exclude those from being calculated towards the total.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Susan Mangan -
Thanks for checking that Elena - you are the gradebook Queen wink

by Matt Vernon -
Thanks Eleana. Appreciate the version check.

by Matt Vernon -
Hi Elena,
Is it possible that 1.9.9 has the fix. I am at 1.9.8 and hidden activities are still counting.
In reply to Matt Vernon

by Elena Ivanova -
Have you changed the settings for both the User and Overview Reports in the gradebook?
Please go to course > administration > grades > settings > set Hide totals if they contain hidden items to either Hide or Show excluding hidden items.

Note that if you choose "Show excluding hidden items", the totals in the Grader report (instructor view) will be different from the total seen by students in their own User views, since the teacher always sees totals calculated from all items, hidden or unhidden.
To check what exactly each student is seeing - go to their user reports. smile

by Matt Vernon -
So your saying there is no way to exclude hiden items for instructor view in grader? Thats what I need, we that tied to a SIS. Also, I did tweak the settings you recommended here with no effect on user, grader, or overview. I did not log in as a student to test there user view. Is it the same as selecting the student from the pull down in the user report at teacher level?
In reply to Matt Vernon

by Elena Ivanova -
It would be nice to know what exact scenario you are trying to achieve.
e.g. do you have some "TAs" who are never supposed to see hidden grades and hidden columns in the gradebook? I am not sure what SIS is...

------
If your will look at the User report for some particular student as an instructor, you should see exactly the same as that student would see.
If in some User report you see totals there that still include hidden items, then something is not correct in the set up. I would need to see the screenshots (grader report, user report, settings page)
Want to give me temp access there? ;) my email is in my profile

If you want to exclude hidden items from the totals in the grader report, you have to jump to other options:
Put your hidden items in a special sub-category.
- if you use SUM or SWM, multiply that sub-category by 0
- if you use WM assign 0 weight to that sub - category

If then you want to "hide" (kind of!) them:
- in the grader report locate [-] icon near the name of that category and click it so it wil turn to [+] and start showing only category total. This will reduce space. And this has to be done by individuals (instructors) for themselves.

Once you "unexclude" and "unhide" your items, you will need to move them to the unhidden category manually