Default role for users in a course

Default role for users in a course

by Tom S -
Number of replies: 1
Dear all,

I want to alter the way logged in users interact with the moodle courses. Rather than having to manually enroll on to each course they click, I want them to be able to browse at will. Manually enrolling also enrolls users as students in the participants list, which will be confusing to teachers when they go to message their class etc.

I am considering changing the 'default role for users in a course' to a new role called 'institute member'. On a basic level this works - logged in users are automatically enrolled and can view any course they wish. However, this causes certain problems - the courses users view are added to their profile view and their 'my courses' block. I do not want this.

I understand that I could set 'institute member' to be a hidden role assignment, and this cleans up the participants list, but it does nothing to the 'my courses' list. Is there a way of limiting the 'my courses' list to courses where users are enrolled only as students?

Thanks,
Tom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom S

Re: Default role for users in a course

by Martin Burrow -

Hi,  can I ask, what is wrong with using the 'guest' role for the 'default role for users in a course'?

I am also trying to work out how this all works, but it seems that if you set 'default role for users in a course' to guest then this avoids users getting added to the participants list and the courses visited as a guest showing up on the 'My Courses' list, but still allows the casual visitor to view the course.
Then (depending on your policy) individual course 'owners' can set whether they want to allow guest on their course or not.

HTH

Martin