Question about Percentages in the Gradebook

Question about Percentages in the Gradebook

by Aimee Trawick -
Number of replies: 1
Hi, I know that this might be a really dumb question but I could really use some help! smile I have been trying to find the answer to this question for a while now, and it sounds like a simple question but I can't seem to find the answer.

Let's say (hypothetically) that there is a class that is set up like this:

Quizzes 30% of the grade
Participation 70% of the grade

I know that when setting up the gradebook in Moodle I could input the gradebook data to make it look something like this:

• Category 1: Quizzes
Grade Item 1: Quiz 1 (20 Points)
Grade Item 2: Quiz 2 (20 Points)
Grade Item 3: Quiz 3 (20 Points)
Grade Item 4: Quiz 4 (20 Points)
Grade Item 5: Quiz 5 (20 Points)
  • Category Point Total: 100 Points
  • Category 2: Participation
Grade Item 1: Discussion Day 1 (20 Points)
Grade Item 2: Discussion Day 2 (20 Points)
Grade Item 3: Discussion Day 3 (20 Points)
Grade Item 4: Discussion Day 4 (20 Points)
Grade Item 5: Discussion Day 5 (20 Points)
  • Category Point Total: 100 Points

But this is what boggles my mind... How can I tell Moodle to grade the average score of the total number of quizzes as 30% of the grade and the average of the discussion day scores at 70% of the grade?

What if, for example, the teacher only decides to have 2 quizzes the entire semester and wants the 30% quiz grade to be an average amount between those 2 quizzes?

I understand how to use the gradebook in a point system. I understand that if I know there are 10 quizzes throughout the semester and that quizzes are 10% of the grade, I can simply make sure to tell Moodle that each quiz is worth 10 points and choose the "sum" calculation option. Then, all I have to do is make sure that the rest of the coursework that is not quizzes adds up to 900 total points somehow. But this seems to be the long way. Also, that would not work well if many changes are made later on in the semester (for example, if the instructor decides to only give out 7 quizzes).

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it so much! Like I said before, this has to be a simple question, I know, and I have tried looking at the grading documentation of Moodle and other forum posts but I just can't seem to figure out which place specifically to look. Thank you so much for reading my question!
In reply to Aimee Trawick

Re: Question about Percentages in the Gradebook

by Aimee Trawick -
Oh, nevermind! smile I figured it out. The answer was to use the "weighted mean of grades" feature. I was using sum of grades. I knew it had to be something simple! Thanks anyway! smile