All questions on one page - not properly stored?

All questions on one page - not properly stored?

by Debora Weber-Wulff -
Number of replies: 1
Hi all,

I've been using Moodle Quizzes for ages now. We are currently using Moodle 1.9.9 (Build: 20100609). I had a strange problem this week on a quiz: although I am sure that I spent a lot of time fussing with the page breaks, when the quiz opened for the students, it was all on one page. I hoped that there would be intermediate saves, but that appears to have not been the case. I had a good student finish early and save his work - and it refreshed blank. In panic he filled out as much as possible until the exam ended. I'm letting him take the re-sit without penalty.

I have survived numerous automatic Windows updates during an exam, and the exam opened back up with the intermediate state saved. Is there no saving done when there are no page breaks and multiple questions on a page?

Other problems this time:
* The greater-than and less-than problem is back - student answers were stripped away if they used the greater-than or less-than symbol in Firefox on Ubuntu.
* Some pictures refused to load (pictures of code, because I hate fighting Moodle to get it to display indented code properly), luckily I had the code in the ALT-Tag.
* I forgot that we have really wide monitors in the lab, so the picture formatting was quite chaotic with bits of text in between. Note to self: always use a table for pictures of code)
* The IP-address restriction was not working properly. I had the correct IP space and 20 computers, but 3 people could not log on, although their address was obviously within the range. I just deleted the IP-restriction and they were able to log on.

On my wish list:
* In the item analysis, when I see something that is marked wrong and I know it is right, just not properly spelled by the student, I want to click on the answer and get to exactly this student's (or the first student with this problem) answer to the question. Now I have to dig through all of the quizzes to look for the one in question.
* In the Overview mode I'd like to click on the question number and get all of the student's answers to this question on one page, just like when correcting the essay questions.
* Same thing in item analysis. When I discover I screwed up the answer big time, I want to click on the name of the question and get all the student's answers to this question.
* I would also like to have the question number in the item analysis (not the number in the database, but the question in my quiz)

Greetings,
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debora Weber-Wulff

Re: All questions on one page - not properly stored?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Don't know why the page breaks would suddenly disappear. Clearly, that should not happen.

I've never heard of problems with the IP-address restrictions before. It would be good if you could supply details (for example, exactly what you typed into the quiz settings from, and what IP-address the student's computer had. In particular, what the IP address appeared to be from the Moodle server's point of view, if you have access to the log files.)

Most of the items on your wishlist are done in Moodle 2.0. In particular, there is a new 'Responses' report that lets you view or download all the student responses to a particular question. (And that is a available as a plugin for Moodle 2.0, the 'Detailed responses' report from the Modules and Plugins database.)