Using Moodle for Pharmaceutical Industry

Using Moodle for Pharmaceutical Industry

by hugo mancini -
Number of replies: 5

I have been evaluating LMS Plataforms. I liked Open source options. However I need to take a decisions between Moodle and Dokeos.

I´d like to know experieces of Moodle applied to this industry at the medical visit or sales force training.

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

Hugo.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to hugo mancini

Re: Using Moodle for Pharmaceutical Industry

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Hugo,

I know that the University Hospital of Hamburg (Germany) uses Moodle for in-house training. See the following links for details (all in German):

http://www.uke.de/studierende/index_35139.php
https://elearning.uke.uni-hamburg.de/moodle/login/index.html
http://selbsttest.uke.uni-hamburg.de/moodle/course/view.php?id=3

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
How imaginative are you Hugo? Or perhaps your staff?

Moodle is a tool that you can use to present information in any number of ways. You can build interactivity into each exercise. You can have everything from static text to video. You can use email, databases, glossaries, wikis, nanogong, downloadable SCORM, or any one of a number of other formats useful in disseminating information. You can use mono-colour or rainbows, whatever your taste, to present anything you like. You can offer online certificates to your staff, or a friendly email telling them they have not completed something.

If there is no-one else doing anything like what you need, then you can set the standard, be the leading provider in your field. You may want to look at whatever commercial opportunities this opens up for you and your company. Nothing like being on the cutting edge to gain prominence and every advantage counts in any business environment these days.

Remember the saying "where do you want to go today?" with Moodle it is "We are going here, you want to come too?" What more in an educative tool do you need?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Juliano Magalhães -
Hi Colin,
What is a "downloadable SCORM? As far as I know, the scorm activicty module is designed to enable web access to scorm content, not to download and offline use.
But that would be a great option for mobile use with restricted web access.
Regards!
In reply to Juliano Magalhães

by Colin Fraser -
Yes, depends on how you want to interpret that, so could be a poor choice of words on my part. There is a great deal of SCORM content that is available for downloading and inserting into your Moodle. I did not consider the idea that it could be downloaded and used like flash game or such, just what can you download and use in your Moodle. SCORM, as I understand it, is really only accessible via a web environment. Sorry if I confused you, not my intent, but there is a lot of downloadable SCORM available out there.

Having said that, I would not be surprised to learn that someone has developed a converter to turn SCORM content into Flash content, or more likely Gianduia compatible for use on Apple devices. Keep an eye out for it, if it does not already exist. However, given the often resource hungry nature of SCORM, it may not translate too well to the iPhone, but perhaps the iPad. Now if that starts to happen then you can expect other mobile devices to pick up on it as well.. And anything can happen then.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -
Just to further muddy the waters... Moodle is not a perfect tool and it is not the answer to every educational need out there. It is good at what we need it to do, provide learning content in all the imaginative ways we can think of, and then we think of some more we haven't thought of before.

It will improve with time, and seeing as it is just at Version 2.0 soon, it is a pretty good tool. I would cringe at having to go back to version 2 of some now excellent tools. Can anyone else remember using Photoshop 2? Can anyone honestly say they have seen and used Windows 2? I ask because we seem to be expecting too much too early of too many good programs, they are not being given sufficient time to develop, so they just disappear.

Moodle, fortunately, has a growing user and therefore support base, something other LMS' either do not have or actively discourage. As Moodle does not have the same commercial imperative as proprietal software, it does give it the time to develop. Considering what it was like three years ago, when I first downloaded it and tried to install it, and what it is like now, and what it will be like in a few weeks now, then what is it going to be like in a year from now? How about in three years?

That is also something that needs be considered - but it never is.