All users can see all courses

All users can see all courses

by Angela Evans -
Number of replies: 10
I have searched the forums for an answer and I have done everything I can to fix this problem. Please help!

As it stands, all of my students will be able to see all of my courses and post assignments in each, even if I haven't added them as a "student" within the course.

I have also made these changes.

Admin>users>permissions>assign system roles
Only admins and course creators are added

Admin>front page>front page roles
Only admin and teachers are listed

I have 2 course categories:
6th Grade & 7th Grade

Each of these categories have a Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies course under it.

I want only 6th graders to be able to access 6th grade courses and vice versa.

Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Evans

Re: All users can see all courses

by Angela Evans -
I need to clarify my original statement: Guests can see the courses but cannot gain access to the courses.
In reply to Angela Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Go to site administration>users>permissions>user policies and make sure your default role is Authenticated user and NOT student.
If that doesn't make a difference, post back and I will suggest some other ideassmile
(Additionally, you don't need admin to have a front page role - they can do everything anyway. And unless you want all your teachers to be able to edit your front page I wouldn't advise giving them a front page role either.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Angela Evans -
Well. That was the fix for my problem and I appreciate your suggestions about the front page as well. I am changing that too. smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Denise Lewis -
Help...please! My users (all roles) are in all my courses. How can I assign users to specific courses.
In reply to Denise Lewis

by Chinmoyee Dash -
Denice,

If you have assigned roles on the front page, then that role will be for all the courses. It is always a good thing to go inside a course and then, assign roles to that course in specific.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Claudia Bennett -

I am having the same problem with my students being able to move around to all courses.  The default role for all users was already set to authenticated Users. I changed the default setting in the course to Authenticated User, but that did not fix the issue.

In reply to Claudia Bennett

by Guillermo Madero -

What Moodle version?

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Claudia Bennett -

looks like 1.9.8+

In reply to Claudia Bennett

by Guillermo Madero -

I've never seen Authenticated User as an option for a default setting in the course. Anyway, go to Course administration > Settings, and set the following parameters:

Enrolment plugins = Internal Enrolment
Default role = Student
Course enrollable = No

This way students won't be able to get into a course unless they have been specifically enrolled.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Claudia Bennett -

I think that in that scenario I would have to make the changes within each course.  Ideally, I would like to be able to make a global change to all students that would not allow them to see the other courses, unless the teacher enrolled them.  However I am beginning to think that that is not an option.  Sorry, I am extremely new to using a Moodles, and thank you.