automatically assign all users to particular role

by Bicky Budha -
Number of replies: 4
hi,
im using moodle 1.9.8+.
Following is my network structure:
Windows 2003 Active Directory
Centos 5 with Moodle

For moodle we are using LDAP to pull users from Active Directory.

I have duplicated "student" role and named it "moodstudents". This new role has lots of things been removed like create new blogs, create new tags, access chat, add news..... Is there anyway that i can auto assign all users to be part of this new group. And for all teachers i can later manually move to "teacher" role.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bicky Budha

Re: automatically assign all users to particular role

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you were to do this at the site level, then all users would be moodstudents in all of your courses. Is this really what you want?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Bicky Budha -
yes thats what i want. But will it affect the administrators & teachers who are already i their respective roles currently.

And where would i do this changes?
In reply to Bicky Budha

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It is hard to say if the change would affect teachers and administrators; as we do not know what modifications you have made to the student role; generally I would say no it would not affect them; but don't hold me to that!

It really is very unusual to need to enrol anyone but admins at the site level; why do you want to do it this way?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Bicky Budha -
i changed "Default role for all users" from !Authenticated users" to "moodstudents" and now admin is locked. When admin logs on on left bar there is only USERS, FRONTPAGE. Most of the links are gone, somehow i managed to reset back with adminfix.php.

This is what i want:
We are a small college, therefore we have some students, lecturers and IT Administrator.

Our users (students) are pulled from windows active directory, so these students when logs on to the moodle for the first time, their users account will automatically be created in moodle systems. When their users accounts are created they automatically can do lots of things in moodle like creating blog, create new tags, access chat, add news, forums. We dont want these users to do these sort of things, so all we want them is to click on course and enroll and go thru the notes, syllabus. So what do i need to do to achieve these tasks.

This is how im doing now but its taking lots of time:

I have created a new role name "moodstudents"; this role is duplicate of moodles native student role. In this new role i have edited to prohibit things like creating blog, create new tags, access chat, add news, forums. And from the USERS->ASSIGN SYS ROLES->MOODSTUDENTS and added all those users pulled from active directory. BUT is there anyway this things can be done automatically or is there any better way of doing it.

thank you.