Splitting a lesson in two

Splitting a lesson in two

by Carl R. Christiansen -
Number of replies: 2
I just made a lesson, and it turns out to be to long. I'd like to split it into two different lessons. How do I do that?

c!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carl R. Christiansen

Re: Splitting a lesson in two

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is no easy way. It also depends on the way your "jumps" are organized. You can't just split a lesson anywhere in the middle without any consequences. If your lesson runs in a fairly sequential manner, i.e. page 1 -> page 2 -> page 3 -> ... -> end, you could try the following scenario.

1. Backup your lesson, let's call it "lesson A". Go to the Administration block -> Backup and only select the lesson you want to split.
  2. Locate the backup file and restore lesson A to the same course.
  3. Now, in your course you have 2 instances of the Lesson activity, both called "lesson A".
  4. Rename any of them "lesson B".
  5. Go to lesson A, Edit mode, and delete, one by one, all the pages in the second half of the lesson.
  6. Go to lesson B, Edit mode and delete all the pages in the first half of the lesson.
  7. You may have to adjust the jumps for both new lessons, at the end of lesson A and at the beginning of lesson B, maybe you'll have to add one or more pages there.
Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)