HTML editor displays as a blank area with no icons

HTML editor displays as a blank area with no icons

by Brett Mitchell -
Number of replies: 7
The HTML editor displays as a blank area with no icons. I see it right now as I type this message to you. The font name and font size dropdowns appear, and the two dropdowns to the right also appear but nothing else is visible. There is only a faint, shaded area where the editor should be, with very faint boxes.

The editor seems to function, it just does not display correctly. It is unusable.

I have never been able to make it work.

I've tried using the HTML editor on the sample site at Moodle and it has the same result.

I am uploading an image.

I am on a Mac. I've downloaded the latest Firefox, with no luck.
I have disabled all plugins/addons, with no effect.
I've tried Opera and Safari and they do not display the HTML editor at all.
I've widened the screen with no effect.
I have cleared the cache with no effect.
I have inspected the HTML for hacking and see none, but I am a Teacher and not Admin.
I have looked through all these forums and gone through all the documents I can find and see no help for this problem at all.

Configuration: OS X 10.4.11, Firefox 3.6.7, unknown Moodle version.

Thanks,

Brett
Attachment html_editor.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brett Mitchell

Re: HTML editor displays as a blank area with no icons

by V S -
Hi Brett --
Do you see the editor appearing correct here in this moodle.org compose box?
thanks for initiative and clarity in pursuing this issue.
Vic
In reply to V S

by Brett Mitchell -
No vic, it looks wrong to me on the Moodle site as well as ours.

So it is probably not due to how Moodle is set up on our site, and something to do with my personal setup.

But given the tools I'm using, I do not see what is wrong. Why should the latest Firefox not work for me? I installed it from the Mozilla site yesterday.

The only thing left that I can think of is that I have made minor changes to about:config, but given what they are I do not see how they could affect the display of HTML on a webpage.

Thanks,

Brett

Attachment moodle_site.png

by Heather Pickett -
A couple of our instructors are also having this issue. the most recent issue is with an instructor who previously had no problems using the editor. I logged in as her and had the same result. I am not using Google chrome. Running Moodle 1.9. Her settings are set to enable HTML editor.
In reply to Heather Pickett

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Brett & Heather
This is our checklist for the html editor not displaying (I know you've already mentioned some of these but I'll add the whole list anyway!)

1. check your browser (the current editor is not supported in Safari or Chrome)
    >we recommend using Firefox or IE
  2. check the site has the editor displaying for others
    > Administration > Appearance > HTML editor > Use HTML editor
  3. check the user has not disabled using an editor in their profile
    > User Profile (click Show Advanced if you can't see)
    Field = "When editing text" - select "Use HTML editor" not "standard web forms"
Usually we find it is either the browser or the user's personal profile setting. Let us know if you have checked all of these options and it still does not work for you.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Brett Mitchell -
Dear Teresa,

1. I am using the latest Firefox browser.

2. Our site does correctly display the editor for other users. I'm not directly able to verify the specific setting itself as I am not an Administrator. However I can clearly see that others post in a way that I cannot. I cannot format ANYTHING, while they put up lots of formatted text. Moreover I have been told by the Moodle Administrator that my settings are set correctly to use HTML editing.

3. I checked, and HTML Editing is enabled for me under my User profile.

Keep in mind that I have this problem on your moodle.org site as well as our online campus.

Therefore the problem is not the browser, nor is it my personal profile settings.

Thanks,

Brett

by Brett Mitchell -
My solution was to re-install Firefox as a new install with no bookmarks or settings pre-defined. This allowed the HTML Editor icons to appear normally.

After moving most Firefox settings back the way I was used to, the HTML Editor icons still appear correctly. Consequently I am unable to identify exactly what the cause was, except that it was related to my browser.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Brett

by Jaswant Tak -

Issue is resolved after firefox reinstallation but I will put my comments.

May be you have made the settings in browser like dont load/display images and flash.

That could also be an issue.

Thanks,

Jaswant