MDLQA-179 - Glossary entry media files inline?

MDLQA-179 - Glossary entry media files inline?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Number of replies: 12
While testing MDLQA-179 I see one step states:

4. Check that the entry displays a link to the attached file, or in the case of media files, the attached file is displayed inline.

Are media files supposed to be displayed inline (eg using the media filters) like a forum?

1.9 adds any image, mp3 or swf as a link as per attaching a document. This is the behaviour I see in Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100716) - is this a pass?

Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

Re: MDLQA-179 - Glossary entry media files inline?

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have just run this test too Teresa;

and I would call it a fail. Media files displayed in line would infer to me that they are displayed using the media filters.

I have reported it here: MDL-23467

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think there is a misunderstanding here, plus an ergonomy problem. Let's take the example of an MP3 file named aardvark_cry.mp3.

Case #1.

I want to embed that audio clip into the definition. I click on the Moodle Media icon. In the Insert/edit embedded media window, I click on the Find or upload a sound, video, applet... link. I select aardvark_cry.mp3 from my uploaded files and Insert it.

Case #2.

I want to attach that audio clip to the definition (so that the students can download it on their machine etc.).

I click on the Attachment / Add button. I select aardvark_cry.mp3 from my uploaded files and Insert it.

Then I save that Glossary entry.

In this scenario I have added the mp3 file twice, once as case #1 and once as case #2 so we can view the difference.

Unfortunately, option #1 (embedded audio file) does not display quite as I would like it to show. I only want to see the MP3 flash player, not the link to the file. If I had wanted a link to the file, then I would use case #2 (attachment).

In fact, I do not quite see the point of attaching media files to a glossary entry; embedding images, audio, etc. seems much better from a display point of view. Attached files could be PDF, etc.

Joseph

Attachment image01.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -
Unfortunately, option #1 (embedded audio file) does not display quite as I would like it to show. I only want to see the MP3 flash player, not the link to the file. ... In fact, I do not quite see the point of attaching media files to a glossary entry; embedding images, audio, etc. seems much better from a display point of view.
In which case you may want to have the link to the file so as to allow users to download it. The link should probably be positioned after the player. If the linked text is something like '(download)' it may make more sense to the user. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Itamar,

No, I really mean that when I embed an audio file (or other media) in a Glossary description, I do not want a link to that file to be displayed at all, neither before or after the player, nor with a "dowload" label.

If I want to provide a link to a media file for the students to download, then I will attach it, not embed it.

In Moodle 1.9 we have to resort to a - not too pretty - workaround to not display that link; I was expecting the need to a workaround to have disappeared from 2.0. It should not be too difficult, as I expect the solution lies within the media filter files?

Joseph

by Itamar Tzadok -
Absolutely agree about eliminating the link next to the embedded player, Joseph. But then if you want to allow downloading the file you need to also attach it, right? And it seemed to me that you were making the point that there was no point in attaching media files. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Normally I would always embed a media file, so no need for a link. In some rare cases I might want to attach the file, either instead of or on top of embedding it.
That more clear?wide eyes
ATB
Joseph

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I agree there is a misunderstanding here Joseph; and I think this is Teresa's point entirely. The QA test is somewhat ambiguous, in that "the case of media files, the attached file is displayed inline."is not explicit as to whether it means the media file should be embedded or attached.

My reading of that line is that it should be embedded; in which case it is a fail, as it does not embed the media file when using the attach file method; as the test suggests it should.

I agree with you that media files would be of most use in glossaries if they are embedded (so long as the multimedia filters are enabled of course!); however I think there needs to be some clarity as to what the developers are expecting to happen before we can test if it is functioning correctly.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Many thanks everyone for your feedback on MDLQA-179. As I wrote the test I have to take the blame for it being ambiguous. Sorry! blush

I was actually only thinking of the case of attaching an image to a glossary entry, and I mistakenly thought it was the same as when attaching an image to a forum post i.e. the image is displayed below the text.

Jon, you wrote "there needs to be some clarity as to what the developers are expecting to happen", however I think what is important is the functionality that Moodle users wish to have. Thus, if we agree that things should work as Joseph described (thanks Joseph for your clear example), then the QA test should be reworded to reflect this functionality.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Helen:

As I wrote the test I have to take the blame for it being ambiguous. Sorry!

Don't be sorry, Helen, better be ambiguous than neurotic:

"Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity". [Sigmund Freud] source.

... and many thanks again for the great job you are doing on those 2.0 quality tests.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Teresa Gibbison -
Thanks everyone

I've edited both MDLQA-179 and the master MDLQA-31 to the following

1. Login as a student and access a glossary.
2. Add a new entry, completing the various fields and click the 'Save changes' button.
3. Try editing the entry and attach a file.
4. Check that the entry displays a link to the attached file
5. Try editing the entry again and embed a media file
6. Check that the embedded media file is displayed inline.
7. Try deleting the entry.

I've Passed MDLQA-179 as the media file is embedded and so meets the criteria of the test. I don't think the inclusion of the link affects the Pass but I'm open to other's ideas!

Thoughts?
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Teresa Gibbison -
Also, I notice that the same behaviour we have here happens in a forum discussion (attached media files are displayed top right and embedded are displayed as a link with the filter...

Teresa
Attachment media_file_attach_embed.png