Testing Hubs in Moodle 2 preview 4

Testing Hubs in Moodle 2 preview 4

by Jon Witts -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have just setup a new install of Moodle 2 preview 4 and thought I would have a look at the Moodle Hubs in them.

I have added teh Community block as suggested here: Moodle_2.0_Preview_4_release_notes#Development.2FTesting_Focus_for_this_week.21 and tried a couple of searches. They all seemed to work fine. The only thing I was a little surprised to see was other hubs listed otehr than those I have registered with and MOOCH.

Why are Medienzentrum Jena HUB and Open School@Taiwan showing as available options to search in the community block, and will there be any way to only show trusted HUBS in the community search block?

Jon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Witts

Re: Testing Hubs in Moodle 2 preview 4

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yeah! I was just looking at that at wondering that too, only half an hour ago! you must be watching mesmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's a long way from Yorkshire to Lancashire!
In reply to Jon Witts

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There are three ways to use a hub:

1. Searching / downloading from public hubs approved by moodle.org. No registration required.
  2. Searching / downloading from a private hub. Registration required (and possibly a password).
  3. Publishing to any hub. Registration required.

The community block is about (1) and (2) so currently we are showing every known hub that you have access to in one list. You don't need to be registered with them.

I expect there will be hundreds of hubs in that list eventually, so we need to implement a better picker there.

I'd welcome some discussion and ideas about how this could look!

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jon Witts -
We could filter immediately by approved and not approved; but I imagine that the majority of listed hubs would be in not approved so this might not be so useful.

How about something similar to the glossary alphabet links? Possibly even the option to "select all" hubs for a search... Could be useful if you were after a specific resource but did not know who had it.

It might be nice for the admin to see the list of available hubs in the block config and to be able select which ones would appear for teachers in the block when searching... That way a basic check on the relevance and suitability of teh courses and resources on offer could be performed by the site admin first, before allowing teachers to start downloading courses from the hubs...

I will have another look at it tonight when I get home and see if I can come up with anything else.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just wanted to add here that the plan included a "global search" across all public hubs via hubdirectory.moodle.com (which would cache a copy of course listings for public hubs).

(Rather than every Moodle site hitting every hub)