Tex Filters on shared host

Tex Filters on shared host

by Paul Robinson -
Number of replies: 4

I am experiencing some difficulties getting the tex filter to run.  I have tried reading through some of the similar posts here but cannot see anything abvious to me.  I have Moodle 1.9 running, hosted on a shared linux server.  I ran the debug program with the following results.

1. See the cache_filters database entry for this expression (if any).

DB cache_filters entry for f(x)=\\Bigint_{-\\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt not found

3. Show a graphic image of the algebraic expression rendered with mimetex.
sh: /var/www/html/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: Permission denied
The shell command
"/var/www/html/filter/tex/mimetex.linux" -e "/var/www/moodledata/filter/tex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.gif" -- '\Large f(x)=\\Bigint_{-\\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt'
returned status = 126
File size of mimetex executable /var/www/html/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 491043
The file permissions are: 100644
The md5 checksum of the file is c294ab11905323bb5cb0f451241bedc1
Image not found!
No text output available

4.  Show a graphic image of the algebraic expression rendered with Tex/Ghostscript

A 'broken link' image is displayed -  rectangle(s) with red cross in the middle

5.  Show command execution output from the algebraic expression rendered with Tex/Ghostscript.

Checking executables

Error: latex executable (/usr/local/bin) is not readable
Error: dvips executable (/usr/local/bin) is not readable
convert executable (/usr/bin/convert) is readable

base filename for expression is 'd1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90'

Processing TeX expression:

f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt
$ /usr/local/bin --interaction=nonstopmode /var/www/moodledata/temp/latex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.tex OUTPUT: RETURN CODE: 126 
$ /usr/local/bin -E /var/www/moodledata/temp/latex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.dvi -o /var/www/moodledata/temp/latex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.ps OUTPUT: RETURN CODE: 126 
$ /usr/bin/convert -density 240 -trim /var/www/moodledata/temp/latex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.ps /var/www/moodledata/temp/latex/d1e56126337cd6e29b16fe759232ce90.gif OUTPUT: RETURN CODE: 1

If the following image displays correctly, set your Administration->Server->HTTP setting for slasharguments to file.php/1/pic.jpg:

Otherwise set it to file.php?file=/1/pic.jpg It should display correctly as

If neither equation image displays correctly, please seek further help at moodle.org at the Mathematics Tools Forum

No text output available 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Robinson

Re: Tex Filters on shared host

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
The sad truth is that in some hosting services, the Hosts do not allow Tex. I suggest they probably have not turned it on so talk to them, see if the programs are available. Also, this line:

File size of mimetex executable /var/www/html/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 491043
The file permissions are: 100644

looks a little sus to me as well. Does this mean that the file you are making is 491043 bytes and there is a filesize limitation of 100644 bytes? Is this possible even? Can Hosting services limit filesizes like this?

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Paul Robinson -
Thanks, the host has changed the permission of filter/tex/mimetex.linux so that it can be executed and I can now at least use use this.  They said it was not possible to change permissions for the 'bin' folder. 
In reply to Paul Robinson

by Marc Grober -
Moodle is looking for two of the required tex binaries (latex and dvips) in /usr/local/bin, and it is unlikely that /usr/local/bin is not readable..... it is more likely that you are pointing Moodle to the wrong location (as Moodle found convert in /usr/bin). I would first change your path for the first two binaries to /usr/bin and see if Moodle finds them. You may also want to actually ask your host where latex and dvips are located as your host may have a different location for such binaries or the binaries may not be installed.

If you have shell access and your host does not have dvips and latex in an open /bin you can likely create your own ~/bin, install appropriate tex binaries and then point your moodle to them. See, e.g. http://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html
In reply to Marc Grober

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
wow.. that is very handy to know Marc.. inside the site root- that would make some things very easy....Thanks Marc...