Newbie: Removing all assignments from the course

Newbie: Removing all assignments from the course

by Deborah Shank -
Number of replies: 4
I used the Moodle for the first time last year. My co-worker did a better job of maintaining the course than I did. Is there a way to delete all the assignments from the course at one time so I can re-build my Moodle? I want to delete everything and start over.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Shank

Re: Newbie: Removing all assignments from the course

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Deborah,

You can remove all student contributed content by using the 'Reset' link under the Administration block of your course. Be careful, because this permanently removes the student submissions - there is no undo button.

If you want to remove the actual assignments from the course page (ie. that you or your co-worker created), you have to Turn Editing On and click delete on each activity one at a time. This process is a bit quicker if you have 'Advanced Web Features' turned on in your profile, as the page doesn't have to refresh after each delete.

If you want a completely blank course, it may be easiest to contact your Moodle administrator and ask for a new one smile

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael
In reply to Michael Woods

by ben reynolds -
HI Deborah,
I you are a teacher in your course, you can probably make your own new course, which is the most conservative approach. This allows you to keep whatever you like from the old classroom.

Here's what you do to make one that is totally blank. I'm using Moodle 1.9.4

1. Click backup in classroom Administration
  2. On the include line at the top, click None and None
  3. scroll to the bottom and choose
    Users none
    Logs No
    User Files No
    Course Files No
    Site files No
    Grade histories No
  4. At the very bottom, click None for Backup role assignments
  5. Click Continue
  6. Click Continue
  7. Click Continue
  8. You are brought to the Files area where you will see a zipped file named "backup-nameofyourcourse.zip"
  9. Click Restore
  10. Click Yes
  11. Click Continue
  12. You'll see that Restore to is set for "New course."
  13. Category defaults to the category your old course is in. Be careful, or your course will restore as the front page for your whole Moodle.
  14. Short name: give it a different name from your old course. Make it unique.
  15. Full name: whatever you want
  16. Groups & Groupings: Probably choose name
  17. All else is default, so click Continue at the bottom.
  18. Click Restore this course now!
  19. Wait a bit and click Continue
  20. Voila! as Mary Cooch teaches her students to say, you have a totally blank new classroom.
  21. But, you will need an administrator to put you into the classroom as a teacher. This is because Moodle does not allow a role (Teacher) to do anything at its own level. Thus, you cannot add yourself to a classroom as a teacher.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ben - can regular teachers restore to new courses? I wasn't aware they could?thoughtful
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Oh my. I am wrong. black eye

You are correct, Mary. All a regular teacher can do is restore to existing course.

My apologies, Deborah.

I'd still advocate for a new course/classroom so you can keep the parts of the old one that you like.