Is there a way to track what resource a student is clicking on inside of a course?

Is there a way to track what resource a student is clicking on inside of a course?

by Sarah Thorson -
Number of replies: 9

Is there anyway I can track what resource students are clicking on inside of a course?  I have several resources that I need to know if students are using them.  Is there anyway to track this, I can't seem to figure it out.  I can tell if they go to the resource page, but not where they go beyond there.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Thorson

Re: Is there a way to track what resource a student is clicking on inside of a course?

by Itamar Tzadok -
What is there beyond the resource page? smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Is there a way to track what resource a student is clicking on inside of a course?

by E. L. Cooper -
Go to the student profile then the Activity reports tab then select logs on the right.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Sarah Thorson -

E.L. Cooper - Is there anyway I can see the specific Resource that they clicked on from the Resource Page?  The only thing I can tell by the logs is that they looked at Resource View, not what Resouce they moved to from there.

ry%3D400

by E. L. Cooper -
The tittle to the resource they viewed is to the right of your red circle in the information column.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Sarah Thorson -
Maybe I am just missing something completely or have something set-up wrong, but what is on the right of my red circle is what I clicked on to get to the resource page, NOT the resource that I clicked on once I was there.  That's why I am so confused, what you said is how I think it should work, but it's not!

by E. L. Cooper -

Forget the word resource for a minute- in this case it is a generic word covering a lot of types of pages in moodle not  the way the word as it is generally used.  Now if that is clear it sounds like you are saying there are links in the target page, that are actually not part of your moodle? Correct me if I am wrong. Let's refer to those as off site links. The simple answer is moodle only tracks that which is in moodle but you can make educated guesses, for example if a student went to an in moodle resource that basically contained an off site link and did nothing else in moodle for 15-20 min they probably went to the link and hopefully read it. Of course they may have walked the dog too.

The flip side to the student who probably read the off site link- if a student went to an in moodle resource that basically contained an off site link and within a minute did something else in moodle you can be pretty sure he did not read the link's content.

No one knows any more than a live teacher knows if a student actually read assignments. That is one reason we test and dialog with students in a live class and on line.

by Edward Burke -

sooo you need more detail than simply that at 8:37 you visited the Support Services Index of Topics and you stayed there until 8:45.  Then at 8:45 you started resource hopping?

In reply to Edward Burke

by Sarah Thorson -

Edward - That is exactly my problem.  Is there anyway to get around it?

E.L.  - I think you may have answered my question.  The are off site links - I guess maybe I won't be able to track them.  My problem is that there are several link on that page, so just saying that they went there and spent time is not enough.

by Itamar Tzadok -
So beyond the resource is the off-site. smile You know, you can always set these off-site links as Moodle resources (link to a website resource) and in the content resource page (such as the Support Services Index of Topics) put links to those resources rather the direct off-site links. Then you will be able to see in the log whether your students visit these links. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)