Cafelite: a new Moodle 2.0 theme

Cafelite: a new Moodle 2.0 theme

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 23
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've just uploaded Cafelite for Moodle 2.0. When it is approved you will be able to download it from HERE
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Cafelite: a new Moodle 2.0 theme

by John St -
I saw it on your site via the demo for the base percent theme. Why didn't you enter it in the comp? It looks rock solid...
In reply to John St

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Because I was a day too late! Besides I was having problems with the layout, which I only got fixed on Saturday. Anyway...I'm not into all this 'magic finger' eye-prod stuff! smile
In reply to Mary Evans

by Dwayne McFarlane -
This theme does not seem to work. Ive tried to install it on two seperate moodle installations and all I get is a white screen.
In reply to Dwayne McFarlane

by Dwayne McFarlane -
I'm sorry just realized this is only for Moodle 2.0 does this theme exist for 1.9?
In reply to Dwayne McFarlane

by Mary Evans -
Yes it does...if you haven't already found it here's the link.

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=3866

If you experience and problems with this theme please let me know! Thanks

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary,
Just tried your Cafelite straight out of the box, not touching its configuration at all. It does not display correctly (tested in Firefox 3.6.6 and MSIE 8).
Joseph
Attachment image01.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Evans -
Did you download basepercent too? As this theme relies on it. Did I not write this into the info? Very remiss of me if I didn't.

basepercent is different from base theme as it is in percentages and works slightly differently. When I uploaded it it was working perfectly on my server (Moodle 2.0 Preview 4).

I'm about to check it now. Will be back with report
Thanks for letting me know

M

Report:
I can't replicate any of the things you have highlighted Joseph, apart from the gap between menu and breabcrumb navbar in IE8 - Firefoxs it displays beautifully.
In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -
Looks fine in my testing, but I already had base percent in there. One question, was the pix_core folder meant to be in the pix folder? As is, unless you move it up a level, it doesn't get picked up by the theme. Unless I am missing a setting.
In reply to John St

by Mary Evans -
You are right, John, about the pix_core folder being in the wrong place. I miss interpreted Sam's explanation in the discussion about images in Moodle 2.0. I need to fix that. Thanks for bringing this up.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

"Did I not write this into the info?" which "info" do you mean? Where? The only place where I can find a reference to basepercent is in file \theme\cafelite\config.php: $THEME->parents = array('basepercent');

I suggest there really should be a huge warning somewhere when selecting cafelite from the themes installed on one's Moodle site, reminding the user of the necessity of the basepercent theme...

Anyway, here we go with my first impressions of cafelite.

1. I very much like the color chart and the general layout (except in a very few places, see below).
  2. Left & Right columns width. I notice that by default cafelite offers more generous width for those blocks columns than most other 2.0 themes, which I really like. However, I suggest you make this a user setting, similar to the Formal White theme settings, where you can select column width.
    Hm, if the end-user uses both the left and the right column, when editing a resource (e.g. posting in forum), you need a really wide screen to display cafelite, otherwise the space for the HTML editor in the central column is "squeezed"...
  3. The current date display in the header is a nice idea, but it is not immediately evident to the end-user that clicking that date will take them to the calendar. I suggest putting a help balloon there.
  4. The re-design of the Turn editing on/off button is nice, but its label text is really tiny. And also, to make sure users will see it as a "button", I suggest changing the cursor to a little hand on mouseover over it.
  5. Vertical spacing of lines, titles, etc. I find
    1. OK for the following blocks: Navigation, Settings etc.
    2. Not OK for Activities (too much vertical spacing)
  6. There is again too much vertical spacing for all of the elements (titles, labels, resource & activities names etc.) in the central column. There also seems to be an alignment problem, the icons are aligned with the top of the following text, I suggest aligning with either the middle of the bottom of the text.
  7. When editing the settings of a resource or activity, the old "tabs" are now duplicated in the Navigation block. I suggest you use for the current "tab" the same format as in the Navigation block (i.e. bold, instead of blue color, which jars with your color chart, see attached screenshot #1).
  8. There is a display bug in Choose a question to add (to the question bank) see attached screenshot #2.

Thanks for sharing your design work and congratulations on the hard work.

All the best,

Joseph

Attachment image01.jpg

by Mary Evans -
Gosh Joseph! You have given me a lot of feedback...this is wonderful! Thank you so much.

I was meaning to write something about Cafelite's parent theme being 'Basepercent', in the part where you first select the theme in the (chooseme) string in theme_cafelite.php, to the effect that Basepercent should be loaded first into the theme folder for Cafelite to work properly.

Thinking about it now, perhaps I should fix all the alignment issues in basepercent first, as this will have a baring on both Cafelite and Flower Power themes. I updated Flower Power a couple of weeks ago. You might like to take that for a test drive too Joseph, of the two themes I much prefer Flower Power. If you do, you may well find the same problems with vertical alignment as was in Cafelite...plus all the other issues too.

Actually, I'm not really sure what you mean about the vertical spacing issue. Is it that there is too much white space in different elements? You mention it is OK in Navigation but not for Activities. I must see if I can replicate this issue so that I can get to grips with fixing it!

In the mean time, with regards all the other things you have found, I'll try and go through them systematically, and hopefully get them fixed too. As you may appreciate, I am still learning, so I may be some time!
But again thank you, Joseph, for testing this theme.

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Hi Joseph,

Please find new blocks.css with side block icon fix.

I'm working through the rest of your excellent feedback. More later.

Abientot

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Joseph Rézeau -
Thanks, Mary,
I'll give it a try.
Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

Oops, I can't test Cafelite right now, because of this bug affecting Cafelite (amongst other themes). Hope bug will be fixed soon.

Have a nice Sunday.

Joseph

by Mary Evans -
Joseph, I'm almost done with the fixes. Fixed most of them, but cannot figure out how you got that Question page. All I'm getting is a distorted full page spread with the question select box on the right. But I'm doing this in edit mode. I think I must be doing something wrong. Anyway...the page I ended up on is a mess and needs fixing!

If you could point me in the right direction, so that I can mimic the question page settings issue I would be more than plesed!

Cheers
M

by Margaret Hale -

Mary and Joseph,

When I added basepercent, it cleared up all of the items Joseph higlighted.  However, It also caused some changes in my content pages:

Crop%20and%20outline.jpg Double digit numbers have the first digit cutoff.  I think this is due to the frame.

Is there a way to eliminate the frame outlining the center column content?  Due to the shading of the side blocks, I don't really think it is necessary.

Margaret

In reply to Margaret Hale

by Mary Evans -
Hi Margaret,

Since I cant get to the page where this border is, I'm guessing it's this bit of code from basepercent which is causing that black border to appear.

If you add the following to the end of the cafelite.css it should fix it.

.generalbox {
border: 0 none;
}
(Tip: when copying and pasting code from a forum page, like this one, first copy then paste into Notepad first, this strips it of any odd formatting picked up from the forum page. You can then safely copy it from Notepad and paste into your theme file, in this case cafelite.css)

If you use Firefox, which I hope you do, you can get a plugin called FireBug which is a useful tool to help track down the exact css which causes the page to display as it does. You can read about it HERE

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Cafelite: a new Moodle 2.0 theme Site Title

by Margaret Hale -

Mary,

I just want to say how beautiful and visually friendly your site is! Great Job!

I have spent a lot of time with course design; however, I am very green when it comes to writing and understanding codes, so forgive me if my question sounds naieve.

Is there an easy way to to get my site title to appear in the header?  Moodle Cafe is nice, but I would like to get my site title to appear?

Any help would be greatly appreciated smile

Margaret

by Mary Evans -
This is just to acknowledge that I have read your post Margaret, and will get back to you on Monday with detailed instructions on how to get the title into the header.

Thank you for your kind compliments, I'm pleased you like the look of the theme. As you will appreciate, Moodle 2.0 is still in it's infancy and so too is this theme. I'm still working on it to iron out some glitches which have come to light recently.

With regards the logo, if you let me know what your site title is I'll gladly make you a new logo to replace the Moodle Cafe one if that helps?.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Mary,

Thank you for the prompt reply!  I know Moodle 2.0 is new, and I figured that the best way to start learning about the programming features was to get started and pay attention to how it evolves. (I think in my next lifetime I will choose webdesign vs English for a career choice smile ).

My site title is: RHHS Online Learning Cafe

This might be too picky, but I would envision the title

RHHS

Online Learning (stacked and closer together, same font as on the original page)

to replace "Moodle" and to keep "Cafe" as is on the site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! smile

Margaret

by Mary Evans -
Hi Margaret,

I found some free time this afternoon and designed you a logo which I have incorporated into the header as one image. I've zipped all the relevant files together and uploaded it here. (see RHHS.zip top right of this comment)

All you need to do is extract the files to your cafelite theme folder. You may be asked if you want to over-write the block.css and cafelite.css files, in which case you say YES. The image files have new names so they wont interfere with the original header related images.

If, by any chance, you have made some changes to the cafelite.css file already, then I would advise you to make a copy of these changes as you will need to add them to the new cafelite.css file. The replacement block.css is an update to your original and contains a fix for the displaced sideblock icons.

If you are not happy with the the new header, let me know I can always change it.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Margaret Hale -

Mary,

Thank you so much!  My site looks great and I absolutely love your header design for me.

At first I was having some trouble getting the new logo to appear (it seemed that the original was determined to stay).  I don't know exactly where to post this, but apparently it is important to click on the "Invalidate Theme Caches" to apply changes.

While I do not know that much about writing codes, if I can be of any assistance in offering you feedback on future designs or anything please let me know.

Margaret

by Mary Evans -
Hi Margaret,

So glad you like the header!

Thanks for your offer of help and assistance. It's always good to have some help testing. The basic idea is, if you do come across anything which you feel isn't working correctly, (things like page layouts...text editor especially, the way they display can be a real pain to fix), just leave a comment here and I'll try and fix it.

As for the theme cache, it's good that you can purge it from time to time. But if you are like me and designing themes and needing to see that a slight change to the css needs to be seen instantly, you need to switch to Designer Mode (Site Administration>Theme>Theme Settings (Designer Mode is 2nd check box from the top of the Theme Settings' page). This stops the cache from working, makes your page load slower, but does show every css change after refreshing your browser.

Again thanks for your offer of help. Indeed any theme you want to test, feel free to do so, any feedback is welcome. I know Patrick would be only too please with some feedback on the Core themes.

Regards

Mary