Educational Fields @ Search for Courses

Educational Fields @ Search for Courses

by Vjekoslav Hlede -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,
I like a lot how Educational Fields are organized in the hub's Search for Courses form.

But, how can we customize that list?

Different schools, different professions, different associations need different Educational Fields options. Right?

For example, a veterinary community hub probably will not need options like 'Architecture' or 'Creative Arts', but will need more options for veterinary topics and a hub focused on Creative arts will not need veterinary options but my need additional fields like web design.

The <moodle>/lang/en/edufiles.php file contains a list of educational fields - but that is not the same list as in the hub >> Check the attached picture.

Files <moodle>/lang/en/hub.php and <moodle>/local/hub/lang/en/local_hub.php does not contain any edu fields option.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any suggestion smile

Vjeko
Attachment Hub_Educational_Fields.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vjekoslav Hlede

Re: Educational Fields @ Search for Courses

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -
Hi,
the fields are sorted alphabetically on first level, then second level, then third level:

First level: field105, field106, field107...
Second level: field10501, field10502, field10503...
Third level: field1050101, field1050102...

It's why the displayed menu "seems" different from the php language file.

At the moment no customization is possible except translation. But I created an issue for it: MDL-23217. Feel free to vote for it.

Thanks.
In reply to Jérôme Mouneyrac

by Vjekoslav Hlede -
Thanks a lot Jerome!

>> I created an issue for it: MDL-23217. Feel free to vote for it.
Sure, I voted for it!

>> At the moment no customization is possible except translation.
Great. Just translation can be very helpful. But how to do that?
I tried to change/translate a few titles in the <moodle>/lang/en/edufiles.php file, but with no results.
Please check the attached picture. It shows changes I made in the edufiles.php file and no changes in the hub search for courses options.

Do we have an additional file or Educational Fields are from another server (moodle.org) or...
Any suggestion is welcome!

Best regards,

Vjeko

Attachment Hub_Educational_Fields_3.png

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -
Hi,
your changes probably worked but either Moodle cache, either your browser cache display the previous version.

Note: when you develop in Moodle, you need to turn On the 'theme designer mode'. You'll find the admin option there: /admin/search.php?query=theme+designer+mode

Thanks for the pics (easier to quickly understand an issue)

by Vjekoslav Hlede -
Thanks Jarome!!
When I turned off 'Cache all language strings' in Language settings* it works perfectly.

*Language settings : Home 〉 Site administration 〉 Language 〉 Language settings

Clear Moodle Cache. iznenadjen It took me some time to figure that if I search for 'cache', Moodle will list all cache off/on options (there is more than a few smile) and I will be able to turn off appropriate one (or all of them). Good Moodlecool.

Plan. Now I plan to customize the Edu fields options for an vet ed community hub. I think I will just erase options we (vets) do not need and add options we need. I do not think it is good option just to translate options in that list into what we need, but it is better to create new ones, off course - with another $string['field number]. What are your thoughts about that?
The attached picture shows how it looks like when you add a few additional options.

Since the last option was:
  • $string['field1129999']='Mixed Field Programmes (Other)';
I started with:
  • $string['field113']='Veterinary Medicine';
And added 3 sub-menu options:
  • $string['field11301']='Internal Medicine';
  • $string['field11302']='Parasitology';
  • $string['field11303']='Surgery';
So far it works smile

After that, I guess, in a few months or a few years, we will have to figure how will we incorporate such detailed listings (I believe each profession will need more than a few dozens options for their specialties) in the main hub.drupal.org listing.

That will be a challenge. Right?

I meantime - thanks a lot for your help. I'll be lost without it.

Best regards,
Vjeko
Attachment veted-hub.png

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -
Your solution can work if:
1- you make your hub private only
2- the registered Moodle sites to your hub have this same language file.

However you will have to alert these registered sites that any communication with Mooch will not work (no registration, no course search, no course download). Only the communication to your hub will work. They will/could see bugs or error messages because they hacked Moodle.

It's why I do not recommend to do it ;)

by Vjekoslav Hlede -
>> communication with Mooch will not work. Only the communication to your hub will work.
I know. However in dilemma between:
  • Having all veterinary subjects bundled in one grup under Health > Veterinary Studies > Veterinary Science and having connection with Mooch and
  • Having properly categorized veterinary subjects but without communication with Mooch
I'm not certain what is better option?
Being able to promote your courses on Mooch can be very valuable. But... properly categorized subjects are important for each profession/school. Right? I believe that decision-makers will be more inclined to make a change (adopt moodle community hubs) if they can properly categorize all subjects.

Dilemma... I'm in a testing phase, so I will check both options.

Best regards,

Vjeko

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We've used the best standard we could find here (ASCED 2001), which is a cleaned-up version of the UN standard ISCED 1997) precisely because we want to enable consistent global searching and sharing of content, so I would very very strongly advise that you don't hack this list at all.

There is another free text field for custom tags that you can use for more specific tags within your context, and we can possibly look at providing some way to add a custom menu on top of this later.

Hmm, I just noticed that this tags field is not being displayed anywhere yet, we'll fix that.