Decaf - Moodle 2 Theme

Re: Decaf - Moodle 2 Theme

by Sam Thing -
Number of replies: 13

I'm hesitating posting this; it's such an obvious problem but I can't find it posted about anywhere else.

In short, my custom menu is above the activity chooser.

Activity Chooser

I can probably ix this with a z-index change but....Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes Sam, I had this a while ago but I thought it was fixed (you are right it is simply a z-index issue)  - do you have the latest version of decaf?

Edit: whether it was fixed before or whether I had only fixed it on my local host I'm not sure, but the issue does seem to be there on the latest version

Fix - either in the customcss or directly in core.css of the decaf file (line 111 in the latest version) (You don't need to add the position, top, left and right attributes to customcss and if you are editing the line in core.css you dont need to change them, they are only included here for completeness in helping you identify the line to edit in core.css)

div.moodle-dialogue-base {position:absolute;top:0;left:0;right:0;z-index:1500;}

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Sam Thing -

Thanks Richard.

Should I add it to the tracker do you think?

Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Paul Nicholls -

Whelp, guess I should've caught up with the rest of the forums before releasing 1.8.1 wink

Sam, no need to report this in the tracker - I've just released Decaf v1.8.2, which includes this fix.  Thanks for reporting it here, though!

Richard, I'm sure I had fixed this before - maybe I had to bump the Awesomebar / custom menu z-index at some stage, and forgot to make the corresponding bump to the dialogues.  Thanks for posting the fix here - it's much easier to release a fix when somebody else has already worked out the exact change required!

-Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Sam Thing -

Thanks Paul.

If I can just get your opinion on this one too please?

I can only get the background colour to work with theme designer mode turned off on IE8 and IE9 , not firefox or chromium based browsers.

Oddly with theme designer mode on, all browsers show the background colour and it also works temporarily when I use the preview button on the theme settings page.

I've set the background using theme settings and in the CSS at the same time, purged my caches, validated my CSS, stuck !important on the end of the css rule (as suggested in another theme related post elsewhere by Mary) and installed 1.8.2.

I'm almost ready to let this one go as I'm only after #EEE and we are largely an IE8 monoculture in our college but I'm trying here as a last ditch attempt at a fix.

Any ideas.

Thanks, Sam

In reply to Sam Thing

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Sam,

The background colour seems to work fine for me, in all browsers - just using the background colour option in Decaf's settings (no custom CSS).  There are two minor points to keep in mind, though:

• The change won't apply immediately after you click the save button - enough of the page which has the "Changes saved" message is generated before the change is actually saved that you won't see the new background colour; you need to refresh or load another page to see it
  • If you have Theme Designer Mode turned off, you'll need to clear the cache (either the theme cache, by turning Theme Designer Mode on and then off again, or all Moodle caches - Site administration->Development->Purge all caches) for the change to come through

These apply for custom CSS as well as the background colour chooser, as both of them result in changes in the generated CSS.  The reason that other Decaf settings which change appearance (such as the new Mod Chooser Tiles option) do not require the theme cache to be cleared is that their CSS is actually already there - the option just toggles a class on the body tag, which then triggers the extra CSS to be applied.

I am a little confused as to what you're after, though - you say that you're after #EEE, but that's Decaf's default background colour, so you shouldn't need to change anything anyway...

-Paul

by Sam Thing -

Apologies Paul.

I'm working off a modified Decaf_green theme, not Decaf itself. Because of hotdesking and a rubbish monitor, checking how Decaf behaves compared to my theme threw up false results.

My bad. thanks for the comprehensive reply though.

Cheers, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Sam,

No worries.  I should probably get around to updating Decaf Green sometime - I haven't updated Green in quite some time, so it'll be lagging behind.

-Paul

by Sam Thing -

Hi Paul,

FYI: I had a go at updating the Decaf_green settings to come into line with decaf's and tacked a write up on to the "Howto get the awesomebar" disscussion you started last aug. Seems to have worked all right.

Cheers, Sam.

by Sam Thing -

Hi Paul,

I've found another problem which only seems to be affecting IE8. Turning on editing causes moodle to request authentication (we use shibboleth) and logs the user back in. Editing isn't turned on so the user tries again, leading to a login request and so on.

I can only replicate this problem in Decaf and themes that inherit from it.

Turning on debugging returns this error, I have no idea if it's related:

Strict Standards: Declaration of decaf_expand_navigation::add_category() should be compatible with that of global_navigation::add_category() in /var/www/html/staffmoodle2/lib/outputlib.php on line 429

Any ideas on this one?

Cheers, Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Sam,

That's an interesting one.  It might be best if we shift to private messages to investigate this - we can report back here if/when we have something to report.  I'll send you a message to kick it off.

-Paul

by Sam Thing -

Hi Paul.

I got your PM and will send login details.

In the mean time I checked it out at home. I have a 9 year old XP box. The graphics card died a few weeks ago and the integrated graphics struggle with modern webpages. Under these conditions all browsers redirect to the login screen. I've turned off shibboleth and left manual login as the only authentication method and the problem persists.

I've also tested this on my android (desire s - jellybean - firefox) and turning on editing caused the problem but an ipad4 had no problem.

It looks to me like this is nothing to do with shibboleth or IE8. I suspect it's something to do with the power/speed/graphic capabilities/page rendering of the receiving machine or browser.

Our institutional setup may be a conflating factor if I'm the only one having this problem of course.

I'll pm you when I get to work in a couple of hours.

Cheers, Sam

In reply to Sam Thing

by Sam Thing -

HI Paul,

After extensive testing today it looks very much like this issue is a local one and I can't replicate it anywhere except on this instance of Moodle. Please accept my apologies for what I'm taking to be my second false positive in a row.

As an aside to this, I think the 30 min editing time of a forum post is far too short. Twice on this discussion alone I've started something that has turned out to be nothing after 24 - 36 hours of work. I probably wouldn't have solved my problem without the feedback but the original problem wasn't even properly formulated when I asked it.

People searching for similar problems to mine will still be able to find my false positives which just muddies the waters. I'd like to be able to delete several of the posts I've made in my time here.

Thank you for you time and patience with me recently and of course for your work on Decaf.

Sam.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Sam,

I'm not sure about deleting posts that have already been replied to, but if you want to tell me which ones and what you'd like them to say, I will happily add an edit to them for you as one of the moderators of the forum.Even if the original post was not well worded in terms of what you found out, the solutions may be there in the thread, so adding an edit/postscript under the original post may be the best solution if you feel the original post might be misleading.

PM me to let me know and I'll see what I can do to help smile

Richard