Lesson Question Editior is not working.

Lesson Question Editior is not working.

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I am testing Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100708) on a Linux/Appache server.  I am using the Formal White Theme.

When I tried to edit a Lesson/Question, I found that the only editor that will open is the Moodle Auto Format.  I changed the setting to HTML Editor and saved the file, but still opens to the Moodle Auto Format.

Is there an Admin setting that will cause the editor to open to the HTML Editor by default?  It is opening to the Moodle Auto Format by default now.

Also, I have tables setup in the Lesson Questions with the width set to 100%.  This causes the table to open wider than the question frame.  I reset the width to 800 px but the new setting is not saved.  I also edited some text and the edit did not save either.

Thanks,

Clarence

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

Re: Lesson Question Editior is not working.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Clarence,

PLease only one question per post!wink

Your question #1

"When I tried to edit a Lesson/Question, I found that the only editor that will open is the Moodle Auto Format."

Do you mean when you try to edit the Question text of a Lesson question? (the box which is called "Page contents") or the choices (Answer 1 / Response 1, Answer 2 / Response 2 / etc.) of e.g. a Multiple Choice question ?

"I changed the setting to HTML Editor and saved the file"

I have not idea what you mean here. Please be more explicit and say where you changed that setting.

I don't think "Moodle Auto Format" exists any more. Actually I don't think it ever existed. Where do you see it? Screenshot(s) please.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for checking this out.

I tried to edit the Question TEXT of a Lesson Question.

Following are screenshots of the steps I took.  Let me know if you need access to my site to check this out further.

Thanks

Clarence

Attachment edit_lesson.png

by Clarence Prudhoe -

In the screenshot above, I clicked the EDIT tab.

Then I clicked the edit button on Tonal Memory Branch Table in the next screenshot.

Attachment edit_question.png

by Clarence Prudhoe -

This is the screenshot that shows the editor error.

It only allows the Moodle Auto Format.

I can't get the HTML editor to open here or on any Lesson>Question>Edit page.

Attachment edit_branch_table.png

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Joseph,

I failed to mention that I opened this site in IE-8.

I know that there have been other issues with IE so I thought I should tell you this.

Clarence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Clarence,
  1. are you getting the "Moodle auto-format" editor instead of the HTML TinyMCE editor in other activities/modules of your Moodle 2.0 site or only in the Lesson module?
  2. Is your Moodle 2.0 site a brand-new installation of Moodle or an upgrade from a previous 1.9.x installation?
  3. Did you first author your lessons in a 1.9.x version or brand-new in Moodle 2.0?
  4. Again, Moodle auto-format does not exist in Moodle 2.0, so I wonder where it came from in your above screenshot!
  5. The link "Manage files used by editor" should not be there either...

My guess is that (2 above) your moodle site is an upgrade from 1.9.x to 2.0, which you did before 2.0 was stable enough and that something went wrong in the upgrade.

Can you confirm this?

Joseph

EDIT.- Probably the other problems you have posted about have their origin in the same 1.9.x -> 2.0 upgrade problem.

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Joseph,

You asked:

• are you getting the "Moodle auto-format" editor instead of the HTML TinyMCE editor in other activities/modules of your Moodle 2.0 site or only in the Lesson module?

Yes, in this latest version of Moodle 2.0 v4, I can't get the HTML editor to open anywhere.  However I have been testing Moodle 2.0 for several weeks and updating to the latest version every few days.  I don't recall this editor problem until I upgraded to Moodle 2.0 Preview 4+ (Build: 20100708) this morning.

• Is your Moodle 2.0 site a brand-new installation of Moodle or an upgrade from a previous 1.9.x installation?

I upgraded from Moodle 1.9.9  to Moodle 2.0 v 3 severl weeks ago.  At first I had some problems with the data conversion but after I removed all of the non-standard pluggins from 1.9.9, the conversion completed without error.

• Did you first author your lessons in a 1.9.x version or brand-new in Moodle 2.0?

Yes, all of the course data was developed in Moodle 1.9x.  I have only tested Moodle 2.0 as I had time (no course development).

I could further clean the database if I knew what to look for.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Clarence

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Clarence,

OK, then your HTML editor problem is not related to the Lesson module. It appears clear to me that the problem arises from your upgrading from Moodle 1.9.9 to a 2.0 version which was not yet stable. Since I guess that is a test site, I suggest doing a brand-new upgrade from your previous1.9.9 site to the very latest Moodle 2.0 (preview 4) version and see what happens.

Joseph

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Joseph,

I did as you suggested and went back to my existing Moodle 1.9.9 install and I removed all non-standard pluggins, and generally cleaned up the database.

Then I made a copy and opened the copy in my installation of Moodle 2.0 v. 4+.  The database converted with no problems.  The only exceptions were these tables highlited in red:

?   |  admin  |  Nonstandard (missing from disk)

?   |  admin_tree |  Nonstandard (missing from disk)

?   |  loancalc  | Nonstandard (missing from disk)

Then I opened the editor in the front page and it is still the Moodle Auto Format.

It is curious that if Moodle Auto Format no longer exists in Moodle 2.0, why it keeps opening on my site.  The code must be there somewhere.

However, having re-converted my database from the original Moodle 1.9.9 backup, I can't see how the problem is in my database.  But I could easily be wrong.

Let me know if you need access to my site.

Thanks,

Clarence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Upon further private communication with Clarence, and more testing, a bug has been discovered in the 1.9.x -> 2.0 upgrade process. See bug report MDL-23204.
Joseph