New module: Internal mail : comming very soon

New module: Internal mail : comming very soon

аз Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 20

Hi to all, 

these last weeks with a pair of students of mine (in http://www.fib.upc.edu ) have been developing a module do enable an internal meil servicein moodle.

This  module enables an activity that works like an stardard emal client for each moodle registered ( adn allowed ) user, to send and receive email to the internal mailboxes.

Aditionally the email client will hace folders binded to courses. 

Now we have an alfa version in texting. I espect to be able to make available a beta version this week.

I'd like to know if there are some of you interested in this feature and care to test it and bring me feedback and bug reports.

There is a more detailed version of this message in spanish here.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=15354

Cheers

Marc Alier (Ludo)

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: New module: Internal mail : comming very soon

аз Chardelle Busch -
Сурати  корбар Core developers

Hi Marc,

I have been using an internal mailbox block created by Jon P. and it works very well.  You can get the code here to see what he has done: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/contrib/privatemsg/

I would be happy to give your code a test--will you have it installed in a test course for us to try also?

Chardelle--fellow Labrynth fan

In reply to Chardelle Busch

аз Conrad Taylor -

Hi Chardelle

Are yopu currently using Private Messaging on production or test site.

Conrad

In reply to Conrad Taylor

аз Chardelle Busch -

Hi Conrad,

I am using it in production--no problems.  I did make some changes to Jon's original code, though, to make it more simple--his code was designed to do more things than I needed.  Also, he has not had the time to develop the text files to automatically create the database tables, so you have to do that by hand in myphpadmin. 

In reply to Chardelle Busch

аз Luca Arese -

I've downloaded "piece by piece" the whole Private message block from the CVS and installed. It's working fine, but it gave me problems because it adds two new functions in the User Profile window, which are not able to function cause some "lang files are needed, but i can't fdind them in the CVS.

Any idea?  Do you have those missing files?

Ciao

Luca

I've attached the two screenshots of the error i've got in the profile window.

In reply to Luca Arese

аз Chardelle Busch -

Hi Luca,

Those are some functions that Jon customized for his own particular use.  It is probably best to just edit those out of the code.  Here is the code from my user/view.php file that I use for private messages if you want to use it.

аз W Page -
Hi Marc & Chardelle!

Marc! are you referring to something more like webmail.  A user when signed into the site would be able to send e-mail to others outside that particular Moodle site?

I could see something like that for a school portal, not just a class portal.  That way a student would be able to sign in, see all of their courses and send and receive e-mail.  All with one login. 

Some schools may want this typle of function along with the IM function.

Is this more what you mean??

WP1
In reply to W Page

аз Ger Tielemans -
..and what is the difference with the dialogue module when it is placed in a side-block? (Can I escape form internal mail to sent an email to the external world?)
In reply to W Page

аз Ludo (Marc Alier) -

Hi to all,

I'll try to answer but my writing skills in english are quite limited. We'll lets get throught it.

* The internal mail module (to give it a name) works like a email client. But works internally, with all the data stoder in the database. This allows to keep a trace of the messages so yo can allways see if a message has ben read by its target user's and veen if it has been replyed or forwarded. In Scholar environments this can be usefull cause is a way of certification of the comunications.

* The internal mail main mailbox has a portal wide scope, but will have folders related to the course that have the internal mail activity enabled. The trafic related to this folders will be relayed (optionally) to the tutor/teacher of the course, if the email comunication is a monitored exercise ( for example in role play activities ).

* The functionality of relaying emails to the internet is the first extension that we are considering, but it will have several limitations:
     ** when you send emails out to the internet mail scope you loose the tracing capabilitie.
    ** to receive email from internet will be necessary to have an external acount or to enable a POP3 mail server in moodle. But this can be solved.

As soon  as we have the fisrt beta running i'll give you the adress to test it and the early versions to play with it.

Cheers

Ludo

аз Chardelle Busch -

Hi WP and Ger,

Jon's private message block is very similar to the dialogue module, except -- no notification emails are sent to the users email, it appears in a block so that if a user has a message, they see that when they enter the course (unlike dialogue where users must click on the dialgoue link).  And it has an inbox and outbox.  I still use the dialogue module for carrying on teacher initiated one-on-one communications with a student over a long period of time.

You can have a site-wide mailbox by putting the block on the site homepage, or have a mailbox for each course.  There is no ability to email outside of the site.  There is also a link added to a users profile page to send them a message. 

Although I use this for small group collaborations, there is no way for the teacher to view the messages (unless the loginas of course).

Here are some screenshots:

Attachment privmsg.gif

аз Ray Jr -

Enabling a POP3 mail server in Moodle sounds very exciting! Will this mean that Moodle will have the functionality of a mail server where we can assign email addresses to participants regardless of whether or not they have an external email account?

This is an awesome feature!!!

Regards,

Ray

аз Conrad Taylor -

Hi Marc

Check the following link, from Martin Draft Spec for Implementation plan for Internal Messaging 1.0

http://moodle.com/development/plans/messaging.html

Conrad

In reply to Conrad Taylor

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

аз daniel ginerman -
hola David,
I have just downloaded your mail.zip and want to install it on my site.
I see it has a /lang and a /mod folders, which contents I understand I have to upload to their similar paths on my moodle
but you also have a "mail" folder, that i don't know where to upload in order to have the feature installed.
can you give me that single answer, please, together with any other advice you find useful?
(escribo en inglés en honor al resto del grupo табассум мекунам
thanx from now,

daniEl
In reply to Deleted user

аз Julián Andrés Tejada -
Necesito el internal mail para Moodle 1.5.3

Les agradezco que me colaboren con este módulo para poderlo instalar en la Moodle de la Universidad.

Saludos desde Medellín - Colombia

Julián Andrés Tejada
Comunicador Social - Periodista

In reply to Julián Andrés Tejada

аз Ludo (Marc Alier) -

Hola Julian,

los archivos estan en el cvs de moodle y en la home page de internalmail

http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=18

Saludos

Marc

Re: New module: Internal mail

аз B. Gültekin Çetiner -

Hi,

I have installed the internal mail. Everything seemed OK. However, when I tried to add as activity in one course it gave the following error. I checked in the manual but I could not find it. What is the problem?

The error is

internalmail has to be enabled in the whole site. Please contact your administrator.

Many Thanks

Gultekin

In reply to B. Gültekin Çetiner

аз Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI,
you have to create a internalmail activity in the main moodle course.
Regards
Ludo

аз B. Gültekin Çetiner -

Thanks very much. It worked. It looks very cool. Do you think it is useful to have a feature to send e-mails to specific groups, or teachers for example without having them in contact list?

Thanks again.

Gultekin