Moodle 2.0 how to restore backup courses from the server or web

Moodle 2.0 how to restore backup courses from the server or web

by Hamed Al-Suhli -
Number of replies: 12
I am planning to move to Moodle 2.0, but I noticed that at V-2.0 the files are stored at moodledata by a very complicated method and you cant insert files into Moodle just by adding them to the directory, and Moodle can't grab files from server or web.

so how could I restore backup courses already on the server, not by uploading them from my computer?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hamed Al-Suhli

Re: Moodle 2.0 how to restore backup courses from the server or web

by Hamed Al-Suhli -
Hi,

It seems no answer on this question, so I'm asking is there any addon allow to upload files to Moodle from web not local computer?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The restore code and user interface is still a work-in-progress.

Yes, if you make a backup in one part of your Moodle site, there will almost certainly be a way to restore it elsewhere without having to download it first.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Hamed Al-Suhli -
Thank you very much Tim,

so you don't recommend me trying to solve this issue by myself?
can I speed the work on this issue by any way?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think you just need to wait. Hopefully not much longer now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by JD Cogmon -
OH NO! I just tried to restore from my Moodle 1.98 to Moodle 2.0 and the file directory to do this does not seem to exist. It looks like you guys already went through it and that the final answer is that it cannot be done.
Is that true? should I just forget restoring my old class into it? I was not going to have many people using it, I just wanted to start getting familiar with the new interface.
Any suggestions?
Or are we still waiting?
In reply to JD Cogmon

by Tom the Teacher -

I currently use 2.0 and feel very uneasy that I can't seem to restore a course from backup.  I see there is an open ticket for something like this now but not sure if it will fix this issue or another similar issue (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22138).  I hope this issue can be resolved quickly (last note of progress was September 10).

I don't feel very comfortable using using 2.0 yet simply because I'm not sure that anything course/questions I backup now will ever be restored properly later.  I would hate to have to recreate all the questions and courses again if some code is changed thus making my current backup fail later.  Am I wrong about this?  Any suggestions?

In reply to Tom the Teacher

by cheryl ng -

+1 To be blunt I am shocked that there is no migration of course data.  Even if you cannot restore directly using the interface, there should at least have been an import or a routine that can run outside of moodle to convert the course backups.

To think of all the courses out there developed for 1.9, or before, that cannot be migrated to 2.0 easily.   Even if we can upgrade an existing site from 1.9 to 2.0 with the course and then export it, what about all those other courses we may acquire.  Thus we will need to install 1.9 import, then upgrade then backup and then restore....

Sorry to say sad

In reply to cheryl ng

Re: Moodle 2.0.1 how to restore backup courses from the server or web

by Hans B0s -

Just installed 2.0.1 and expected to restore my 7.10 GB of backuped zip file's......

Is there already a solution or should I just remove 2.0 and reïnstall 1.9?sad

In reply to Hans B0s

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hans, please understand that Moodle 2.0.x is a complete rewrite, not an upgrade. In doing so, the underpinning structure of Moodle is completely different. I think this was always touted as being the single biggest issue facing the step from 1.9 to 2. For the moment, I would recommend that you tell your admin, creator and teacher staff that moodle 2.0 is available as a test environment. It is hugely different and will need a bit of lead time to get used to. Encourage them to start new courses in Moodle 2.0.x as a test site but keep the Moodle 1.9.x going as a production site for your Users. (This gives everyone time and I would not be surprised if the backup conversion is a separate or even a completely different program.)

Just go to Server > Session Handling  and add a different cookie prefix for each Moodle, this allows them to run concurrently on one computer otherwise they get logged out of one Moodle as they log into another, even using different IDs.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Larry Wershbale -

Colin,

We are getting ready to roll out 2.0.

Right now we don't have a lot on 1.9, but we do want to make sure that those already using it will be comfortable, so we will probably run a test environment for a while.

In talking with our engineer, I understand that courses we already have will be changed with the move to 2.0, but I am concerned that we will still need a way to convert 1.9 courses that we may get from other sources to 2.0.

What we are thinking about is:

1. setting up a non-server computer with images for 1.9 and 2.0
  2. add a 1.9 restore file to the 1.9 image
  3. convert the 1.9 with the newly "restored" course to 2.0
  4. creating a new 2.0 restore file from the course just added in step 2
  5. use the 2.0 restore on our actual 2.0 server
  6. restore the step 3 converted 1.9 to 2.0 back to a 1.9 image for the next time this is needed

Does this sound like it will actually be doable?

Thanks

Larry

In reply to Larry Wershbale

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Sorry Larry, not been paying attention, been a little distracted lately. but..

1. It is easier to not mix the code base of Moodle 2.0.x and 1.9.x. There are so many things different. Look at this document on Moodle 2.0 and consider the points raised here.

2. If you only have a few courses in 1.9, then it is probably easier to convert those manually, or rewrite them in Moodle 2.0. This also helps the authors get aquainted with the new environment. I know, it is annoying, but it is also instructive.

AFAIK, Moodle 2.0.x is stable and "feels" better, but yes there are a few things to be sorted. Not all the 1.9.x functionality has been included in 2.0.x, not all the plugins are available - for reasons mentioned in that document.

But it is still a valuable exercise, in preparation for Moodle 2.1...

And Aaron... no-one is saying, right from the start, that Moodle 2.0 is flawless, when you consider the complexity, it is amazing the development team has been so dedicated as to resolve so many issues before its release. This is open source, so it needs a bit more development time, if only to allow the volunteers the opportunity to earn a living while doing this in their spare time. But I would still stack Moodle 2.0 against any commercial product and show it a clear winner. After having used several common commercial products, I much prefer Moodle, so I am somewhat prejudiced.

Also, realise that Moodle 1.9.11 is still going, still being developed, and that is tried and tested and it works very well. Once Moodle 2.0 has been around for a little while, and has been worked over, it will replace anything earlier, easily, simply, upgradable, and restored courses included.

In reply to cheryl ng

by Aaron Batty -

Yes, to be blunt, this is absolutely unforgivable.

I would have been happy to keep using 1.9.x, if it worked with any browser but Firefox, at a time when fewer and fewer students are using it (preferring Chrome). That's not the case, though, so when building a new server for my department, I saw no choice but to build a 2.0 server, orphaning the 1.9.x classes I've been using for 6 years on my own server.