Cloze question with multichoice and multianswer

Cloze question with multichoice and multianswer

by venkatesan iyengar -
Number of replies: 18
What I am trying to do is to create Cloze question with multichoice using {1:MCH:} option. By default the question generates radio button with only one correct answer with 100% marks. Is it possible to change to multiple answers with total adds up to 100%? Something like this {1:MCH:%33.33%A~%33.33%B~%33.33%C~D}. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Average of ratings: -
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

Re: Cloze question with multichoice and multianswer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is not possible, there is no "multi-select" option for multiple choice questions in the Cloze question.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by venkatesan iyengar -
Thank you. Can you please suggest me a solution to create question of the following type:

There are two columns, students are expected to match items in column-1 with the entries in column-2 (similar to matching) however, there could be more than one correct matching option. Also column-2 may have more additional wrong options also. What I have presently planned is to create a separate table with drop-down option with Y/N for every entry in column-2. For example, if I have four questions in column-1 (A to D) and six options in column-2 (P to U), then I create a table seven columns and four rows with columns corresponding to P to U having drop-down options. This works, however, students are forced choose N for wrong answers and also get marks.

I think there is no multi-select in matching questions also.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
... however, there could be more than one correct matching option

I'm afraid this runs counter the usual philosophy of matching activities (even outside of moodle). This would be pretty confusing to the students, not to mention the impossibility to score those questions.

As usual it would be easier for us to understand your problem if you provided here a sufficient set of concrete examples of the question(s) you want to ask (with solutions please).

Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you looking for the MAtrix question type? Development:Matrix_Question_Type_Specification
In reply to Tim Hunt

by venkatesan iyengar -
Thanks Tim,

This what I am looking for. Is there any progress in its development? Cloze question type already calls multichoice question type? why not call multi-select of multichoice also? So, it need not be a separate question type.

Joseph,

Here is an example:

A particle is moving with a speed v = 2t2 on the circumference of circle of radius R. Match the quantities given in Column I with corresponding results in Column II

Column I
Column II
(A) Magnitude of angular acceleration of particle
(P) Decreases with time
(B) Magnitude of centripetal acceleration of particle
(Q) Increases with time
(C) Magnitude of angular speed of particle with respect to centre of circle
(R) Remains constant
(D) Angle between the total acceleration vector and centripetal acceleration vector of particle
(S) Depends on the value of Radius R of the circle

Answers:

(A) --> Q, S
(B) --> Q, S
(C) --> Q, S
(D) --> P, S

A horizontal checkbox type would be good.

venkatesan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Right, so the matrix question type will do exactly what you want, if you are prepared to install a 3rd party plugin.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi venkatesan,

Thanks for the example (although those velocity and acceleration notions far exceed my modest maths level).

Why not simply create 4 separate MCQ, multiselect questions?

The way the cloze question works at the moment in Moodle I am almost certain it is not possible to have MCQ, multiselect sub-questions in it.

However, the kind of question you want has been asked by other moodlers in the past and Tim is aware of this.

ATB

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by venkatesan iyengar -
Hi Joseph,

Yes I agree, but this is one of the pattern students have to practice for their IIT engineering entrance examination. So we have to do that. Presently, I am doing as 4 different MCQ questions and I give separate matrix type questions offline through paper. Thanks for your kind words.

Tim,

I have third party jmol plugin for chemical structures view in moodle (1.9.5) and I can try this matrix type also. Will this be portable to v 2.0?

thanks
venkatesan

by Tim Hunt -
With luck the question types will be ported to Moodle 2.0 eventually. You need to ask the people who made those question types, not me.

by Itamar Tzadok -
Shouldn't be too difficult to do with Cloze and a bit of simple javascript although the layout may not be the most intuitive and you will have to create manually (or automatically in, say, Excel) all possible permutations of complete and partial answers with the desired weights.

The idea is to use in column-1 short-answer fields into which students will paste the options from column-2 by clicking the option (as "copy to clipboard") and then clicking the short-answer field in column-1 (as "paste). The option will be added to the end of the string in that short-answer field delimited by, say, comma.

Changing the answer will require deleting the string in the short-answer field or a particular part of it which may of course cause all kinds of problems until users get used to this interface.

Illustration:

column-2:

Red Blue Green Yellow
Gold Orange Purple Brown

column-1

Apple:
Red,Green,Yellow,Brown
Orange:
Orange,Green,Yellow,Gold
Banana
Gold,Yellow,Brown

smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Velson Horie -
If one uses 2:MCH syntax, e.g.
hydrogen {2:MCH:=1~2~3~4~5}
the output is like below, except that the hydrogen is text - not included in the table.

A work around for this problem is to insert the text into the syntax i.e.

{2:MCH:hydrogen~=1~2~3~4~5}
{2:MCH:carbon~1~2~3~=4~5}

What are the normal valencies of the following elements?

hydrogen

carbon

but it is not very pretty.

Can one force the automatic tabling function of MCH into a user defined table, multiple rows etc?

Velson Horie

PS Sorry - the html tables created by Moodle and copied from the preview into the message have been wiped, leaving only the characters.
In reply to Velson Horie

by Jeff Forssell -
By putting the contents into a 2*2 table you can get what you want.

moz-screenshot.png <span style="font-weight: bold;">What are the normal valencies of the following elements?<br /></span><br />
<table border="1" align="left"><tbody>
<tr>
<td valign="top">hydrogen: <br />
</td>
<td valign="top">{2:MCH:~=1~2~3~4~5}
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top">carbon:
</td>
<td valign="top">{2:MCH:~1~2~3~=4~5}
</td>
</tr></tbody>
</table>

I took away all the width=xxx% stuff, that just spreads it out which makes things unconnected

What are the normal valencies of the following elements?

hydrogen: {2:MCH:~=1~2~3~4~5}
carbon: {2:MCH:~1~2~3~=4~5}

Attachment ValencyH.JPG
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Is there any way to remove those vertical "boxes" that are inserted between the radio buttons?

Attachment cloze.gif
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Adding:

.c0 {
 border: #fff;
}

to the styles_color.css file in my Moodle theme "fixes" it in IE8 but not Firefox.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Luis,

If you do this, then border will become invisible not only in your cloze questions but everywhere else in your moodle! I suggest the following:

.que.multianswer .answer .c0.feedback{border:none;}

which will work in MSIE 8 as well as Firefox 3.6.8.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Stefan Eberhard -
Have a look to this javascript:

http://onlinekurse.org/extra/jsbuf4.html

With the javascript I collect different answers which can be compared with a given answer in a Cloze question or Shortanswer Question.

I think, the matrix-question-problem can be solved by modifying a Shortanswer-question.

There is no need to change a lot, just some input fields managed by a javascript and transfering the javascript-string to the SA-answer field.

Should be easy for a good programmer (I am not smile)
In reply to Stefan Eberhard

by Jeff Forssell -
When I looked at the source for that page, it looked scarily like injected spamming code. I'm guessing that you have disguised code so it wouldn't be easily analysed by a persopn doing an exam.