Compatibility of Rubric Activity Mod w. newer 1.9x versions?

Compatibility of Rubric Activity Mod w. newer 1.9x versions?

by Robert Blomeyer -
Number of replies: 4
Friends:

I'm running a heavily modded server running a well maintained Moodle 1.9.1+ on a Redhat server. It works, it's getting used.

At home, I have a localhost sandbox that's used to test Mods (etc) before I add anything to the live server.

A recent successful mod that adds a LOT of functionality our participants appreciate is Activity Module: Assignment Rubrics [UPDATED 9/8/08]:

I tried it on a test installation of 1.9.8 and it wouldn't install - PERIOD. There's something about it that apparently doesn't play nice with the latest released versions of Moodle.

Is there any chance someone in the community that likes this particular mod as much as i do has found a way to tweak it so that it installs properly on 1.9.8 or 1.9.9?

It's time for a major upgrade on our server. But I don't wanna do it if it means sacrificing the development work we've done creating rubrics for our "performance-based" courses.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

Bob Blomeyer (BobBl)
Co-Founder, President and Architect for
Online Teaching Associates Ltd.
http://www.OnlineTeachingAssociates.com/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Blomeyer

Re: Compatibility of Rubric Activity Mod w. newer 1.9x versions?

by Rob Johnson -
Hi Bob. The way I have handled this is to replace the assignment folder in the current Moodle package with the one in my current installation (the assignment rubrics from 9/8/08). Then upgrade the Moodle. I went from 1.9.4 to 1.9.5 this way. Please try on test data first. I have upgraded a test installation to 1.9.7 this way as well.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have used the same technique to upgrade from 1.9.4 all the way to 1.9.9 and it worked every time.

by Robert Blomeyer -
Thanks to Rob and Al for their recommendations. For various reasons, I should give it a try.

I'll duplicate my 1.9.1+ on a localhost and upgrade carefully & deliberately, as suggested by Rob.

Lately there's been discussion on the Activity Module: Assignment Rubrics page suggesting upgrading w.o losing the Rubric mod is tricky but possible.

Hope I can get it to work on my localhost testbed. Wish me luck. I'll report back.

BobBl

by Robert Blomeyer -
Rob & Al:

It worked! I've successfully upgraded a localhost clone of my production server to 1.9.9, without, losing the activity rubrics.

Now all I gotta do is screw up my courage, drink a lotta coffee, and stay up real late to upgrade my production server.

After all that practice on my localhost clone, I thought by now I'd be more confident about the outcome. I'm still hesitant.

I supposed if I notify my sysop in advance so he runs a full backup on everything (incl. SQL), anything that unexpectedly screws things up can be reversed.

I do believe in backups, I do I do I do.

Thanks again guys.

BobBl