Images not displayed in emails

Images not displayed in emails

by Caryl Gordon -
Number of replies: 17

Hi Moodlers,

I can attach image files to a forum post. It displays fine in Moodle. However, the emails that are sent do not contain the images - just a box with a red x.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Caryl Gordon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caryl Gordon

Re: Images not displayed in emails

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It is because they need to be logged in to see the forum post and therefore any attached images. It's not a mistake -it's as it should be
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Caryl Gordon -

Mary,

Ok, can you please explain further?

1. Why should a post that is emailed out not contain everything that is in the post?

2. Why is it "as it should be" that Moodle would not send out images from a post if the images are part of the post?

3. Also, the profile images are appearing in the email messages. So why would profile images be in the email but not other inserted images?

Thanks again,

Caryl

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Caryl. OK.. well I am not a technical person so I will give you the explanation as I understand it but hopefully someone with more knowledge of the code and admin will elaborate:
1 and 2. The forum post and any attachments are ordinarily" behind closed doors" ie you need a password to log in and get them. I assume (guessing here) that when Moodle sends out forum posts as emails it just takes the text part. An attached image is hosted in the course files in that course which are not accessible outside the course - so for them to be seen, Moodle would somehow have to take them out and make them publicly visible, a possible security risk?
3. I suspect the reason your profile images are appearing in the email messages is because you might have your moodle profiles set to being visible without logging in?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I agree that the subscription emails should show everything, at least all images of the writing participants. The attachments are more acceptable to require a login.
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Keith Landa -
As Mary has described, the messages are displaying as they should; there is nothing to be fixed here.

If you want more technical details:
When you look at the source code of an html-formatted message, you will see the text content of the message in among the html code, along with whatever html tags that reflect the formatting you've applied to the text (blod, bullet points, etc). Images are not in the message however; there is instead an html IMG tag that represents where the image is to be included in the mark-up of the message, and that IMG tag includes a source file reference, which in this case points to the Files area of the course on your Moodle system. Your mail program can't access that image file because it can't log in to your Moodle system, and it's certainly not enrolled in your course.

If you linked to an image source file that was somewhere on the open internet when putting together your message to send out from Moodle, instead of an image file that you upload into Moodle, those images would display in the emailed version of the message, as there is no authentication needed to access them.
In reply to Keith Landa

by Joan Cichon -
I understand that.  do you have any suggestions for how I can accomplish my goal?
In reply to Keith Landa

by Daniele Mela -
I think that your technical details clearly explain why the image is not displayed in the mail.

But I also think that from the receiver point of wiew, seeing a mail notification in which an image is displayed as a broken link is puzzling. The receiver would probably think that there has been a mistake in the mail sending and that something went wrong.

Wouldn't it be better to receive the image itself instead of a link pointing to the image resource on the moodle course?

Does anybody know if somebody has worked on this?

Thank you
In reply to Keith Landa

by Iruma Tenji -

"If you linked to an image source file that was somewhere on the open internet when putting together your message to send out from Moodle, instead of an image file that you upload into Moodle, those images would display in the emailed version of the message, as there is no authentication needed to access them."

hi, regarding to the statement above, how do i able to make it?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joan Cichon -

I understand that if I "insert" an image that is stored in moodle that it doesn't display unless logged in.  I don't like it, but I understand it.  However, if I "attach" an image from my desktop, it does seem to show up in the emails. 

My problem is that I want to be able to have the image display for evaluation, then have the viewer be able to check their evaluation by accessing an "answer."  I can attach the answer as a pdf, but since I have already used my 1 attachment allowed to attach the image, I have no way to add the answer.

I have a prof who has been sending out these "mini quizzes" via non-moodle email, so the data and images are not stored on my site and therefore are not available for later use.  I want to provide him the same service and keep the images and answers stored on the moodle site for future reuse.

Suggestions?

In reply to Joan Cichon

by Keith Landa -
The image and the answer go out in the same message? That seems like it would short-circuit student work on the problem. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not sure why the faculty member would want to send out the mini-quizzes to the students' emails, instead of sending out an email that would direct students to an activity within Moodle.
In reply to Keith Landa

by Joan Cichon -

Because they aren't students, they are cardiology fellows who are doctors on a busy rotation - he wants them to get an email - look at the ECG, then check their evaluation against the correct interpretation.  This is not an activity where going to moodle and logging in is a good idea.  They are already checking their email.

Do you know of any way to display the image AND the answer in the same email from the moodle site?

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Khalil Radhi -

Hi Caryl/All,

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Our moodle is not accessible directly through the internet, users have to be on the intranet or use Remote Server Access (RSA) to access.

I have tried the attachment method, as will as the direct image insertion in the news forum announcement body; both methods have failed!

I would expect that at least the attachment should be 'attached' to the email message since that is how attachments are supposed to be handled!

Can the email notification function be modified to better handle email messages? To include images and attachments rather than link back to them?

In reply to Khalil Radhi

by Maurice Moore -

Hi all,

Not surprisingly I'm experiencing the same behaviour - and the technical reasons are understood. I embedded an image in a site announcement (news) aimed to show the user the link to the feedback 'survey' I wanted them to do. Of course the image didn't display although the embedded link was still under the undisplayed graphic. Clearly I could've (and will in the future) just put a link in and no image, but the damage has been done - an email went out to all our users with no image -  and the helpdesk now have more work to do. The user experience has been compromised. Although I won't do this again, I'm certain that others will because there is nothing documented to tell them they shouldn't.

Since there appears no intention of doing anything to solve the 'technical problem', maybe addressing the 'user problem' would be a first step.  It would be worth clearly stating this behaviour in the Forum/News (and presumably any other place where emails are sent from the system) user documentation so users have some chance of knowing that embedded  images will not display in emails before they try and fail.  

And for the cynics that retort  "why bother - users don't read the documentation" I respond, if that were the case why document anything.

Maurice

In reply to Maurice Moore

by Sue Harper -

The big issue is 'Attachments' not really being an attachment, but a link. Even though it looks like an attachment which throws off everyone (teachers and students).  Example: instructor wants to send a welcome message via the News Forum and the schedule (PDF) as an attachment to the message to students via moodle, but not have course open until the actual first day of class. However, students cannot get to the 'attachment'.

As it is actually a link - not a true attachment, why is it called 'attachment' ?

Option - as there seems to be two camps on this issue why not have a choice; true attachment AND link to course file. Choose which one from a drop down menu when building the message.

Hoping someone in development would do some work on this. The end users are baffled and confused on Moodles interpretation of 'attachment'.

In reply to Sue Harper

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It is an attachment, to the forum post - the fact that the forum posts are then emailed out and the 'attachment' is sent with it as a link is, in my opinion, appropriate - forums are not primarily a form of email software, but a discussion board and that is where the file is attached - to the discussion. It encourages users to actually go to the forum, rather than just rely on the email posts.

If users need to send out emails with attachements on the email, I would personally recommend using something like the Quickmail block to do it properly as emails.

And whether someone should develop a replacement News Forum with features more like an announcements email system - allowing attachements and recognising that only teachers on the course can post, so its not a true forum discussion board anyway, is perhaps a related but separate question (We take the word 'forum' off ours and rename them as 'News and Notices')

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Dirk Meyer -

I am using the forum tool to inform teachers of new features, best practices, what to try etc. and I include screen shots in the forum post. Every time I do so I make reference to the pictures in the post. Every time, at least one teacher tells me that my email does not contain a picture, which it doesn't. Informing them that they need to log into the course to see the pictures seems silly as they already read the email.

My two cents

Average of ratings: Useful (3)