Advanced uploading Assignment enhancement

Advanced uploading Assignment enhancement

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 3
In attempting to get teachers to use the 'Advanced uploading' assignment type instead of the Simple upload type I am running into some user workflow issues.
Here's a typical pattern of grading an important writing assignment for a class of 30 students.
  1. After the due date, the teacher uses the Zip & download feature to create a folder with all the submitted files neatly labelled with student's names.
  2. Now she opens one and spends an hour on the first one writing comments and assigning a grade.
  3. Having finished this one, she grades two other papers and decides to upload these as response files into the moodle assignment. So far so good.
  4. In the Assignment submissions she clicks Grade and takes care to upload the response file before assigning the grade.
  5. She repeats this for the other papers she has just graded. So far, so good.
  6. Now she has to do something else so she closes the course and logs out of Moodle.
  7. A day or so later she comes back to work on grading these assignments. She looks the submissions page. Has she uploaded the response files yet? She cannot tell. So she has to click 'Update' for each student to check.

screenshot of Quick grading for advanced uploading assignment

So, I'm thinking that just displaying the uploaded response file in the 'Last modified (Teacher)' column (if there is one) would allow the teacher to easily see and open the response file.

This shouldn't be a hard hack, should it? Perhaps one for the Tracker?

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Advanced uploading Assignment enhancement

by ben reynolds -
Hi Mark,
In the Status column, the difference between "Grade" and "Update" when there is no comment in the feedback box is that the teacher has uploaded a file (and perhaps entered a grade). That's why it says "Update." So, merely seeing the "Update" would mean the file has been uploaded.

In this situation, the file is visible to the instructor but not to the student.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mark Pearson -
>In the Status column, the difference between "Grade" and "Update" when there is no comment in the feedback box is that the teacher has uploaded a file (and perhaps entered a grade). That's why it says "Update." So, merely seeing the "Update" would mean the file has been uploaded.

Actually, merely entering a grade will trigger the change from 'Grade' to 'Update' so there's no guarantee that the response file has been uploaded.

All I'm trying to point out is that the utility of Quick Grading would be considerably enhanced if the Teacher could see and open response files from this quick grading screen. It should not be a difficult thing to achieve, surely? If the response files were visible from this interface once could operate by uploading all the response files for all the students and then go though entering the grades and comments from the Quick grading interface and check what you wrote as you go along. This is what has been strongly suggested to me by teachers who use the Advanced file upload activity.

Cheers
Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by ben reynolds -
Sorry, I'm not qualified to comment. We don't use grades in my part of our program, so I'm totally unfamiliar with Quick Grading.