Learning standards: Importing Blackboard Vista IMS Package

Learning standards: Importing Blackboard Vista IMS Package

by John Tutchings -
Number of replies: 5
We are migrating from BB Vista to Moodle and several of our tutors have used BB's Learning Modules (IMS packages) as Moodle supports IMS packages this should not be a problem. However the BB Learning Modules do not deploy in Moodle.
On investigation it appears that BB use a different format to reference the resource in the imsmanifest.xml file.
We also had a problem with some Course Genie IMS packages that would not deploy in Moodle, this appears to be the fact that they are in a subdirectory in the zip file. With the CG IMS packages we also had a problem with foreign characters not displaying correctly.

To sort out these problems I have written a php script that will take a BB Learning Module and convert it so that it will now upload into Moodle or any other tool that reads IMS packages. It will also convert the foreign characters and move everything up to the root of the zip file for CG IMS packages.

Hope you find this script useful.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Tutchings

Re: Learning standards: Importing Blackboard Vista IMS Package

by Remy Olasoji -

Hi John,

We are in the process of inporting some Vista courses into Moodle 2.3 and I thought this script may help.  Could you give me some instructions on how to install please?  Where should the scripts be placed in a Moodle install to make it work?

Regards,

Remy

In reply to Remy Olasoji

by Remy Olasoji -

Hi John,

Thanks but you can ignore this request now (I think).

In case it helps anyone else, searching further I found this page http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Blackboard_migration (first bullet point under Vista CE 6 / CE 8 section); and found you need to first convert the IMS package output from BB first before restoring into Moodle.  So I unzipped the IMSconverter into a folder on our website and this provided a page online that can be used to upload IMS package files from BB to be converted into ready packages for Moodle.

Regards,
Remy

In reply to Remy Olasoji

Importing Blackboard Vista IMS Package

by Libérat Ntibashirakandi -

Hi Remy,

We are in the process of importing some Vista courses into Moodle 2.5+. I see that last year you have done migration from Bb Vista to Moodle 2.3,  do you think this script  you have used may help.  Could you give me some instructions on how to use it? 

Regards,

Libérat

by Remy Olasoji -

Hi John,

I've given it a try now and nothing happened - there was no change to the files in the zipped format.  I unzipped the file and tried to convert each file individually and still nothing happened.

Could you help please?

Regards,
Remy

by Paul Smith -

I receive an error when I try to use this:

Fatal error: Class 'ZipArchive' not found in (my server's path)\learning module conversion\imsconverter.php on line 94

Any ideas?

Paul