Order of new fields

Order of new fields

by Barbara Scott -
Number of replies: 2

I have added a new field to my database activity. It's not really a problem until I come to export the database to a spreadheet, when the fields are exported in the order they were created (on the Moodle database fields tab). I know that of course, the new column can be moved when it is in the spreadsheet, but in order to make the whole report as smooth-running as possible, is there any way to re-order the fields in the fields tab?

Thanks,

Barbara

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barbara Scott

Re: Order of new fields

by Itamar Tzadok -
It seems that at the database activity level the only way is to recreate the fields in the right order. Not much of an elegant workaround but provided that the data in the activity is export/import friendly you could use the preset for creating a new instance of the activity with the fields in the desired order. Create a preset, extract the preset.xml file (which basically lists the fields) from the zip, edit it and move the block of the new field to the desired position in the list, and then copy it back into the zip. Then create a new database, apply the preset and upload all the data from the original instance into the new one. hth smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Order of new fields

by Barbara Scott -

Thanks Itamar,

I did consider that, but this database has 900 records in it  - I know that I could export the records and re-import them but I've not had a great deal of success with that, and this is a database I have put together for someone else and I am wary of harming it!

Thanks anyway,

Barbara