formula behaviour with not submitted assignments

formula behaviour with not submitted assignments

toni hernandez -
Atsakymų skaičius: 3
Hello everybody,

When using a formula in a course I have realized that moodle just considers the qualifications of grades that have been submitted.

For example, consider a course with 2 assignments. The first one is 30% and the second one 70% of the total course grade.

If one student submits only the second task and his qualification is 8 (over 10) then the final grade is 5.6 even when the task one has not been submitted.

Is there a way to correct this behaviour?
In this course I need all tasks to be submitted. Otherwise the final grade must be 0.

Does anyone experience the same issue?
Thanks in advance.
Atsakymas į toni hernandez

Re: formula behaviour with not submitted assignments

Tim Hunt -
Core developers paveikslėlis Documentation writers paveikslėlis Particularly helpful Moodlers paveikslėlis Peer reviewers paveikslėlis Plugin developers paveikslėlis
We ran into this at the OU. I can only half-remember what happened, but my recollection is:

In Moodle 1.9, missing grades in calculations are treated as 0.

That was not working for is, so I changed it so that if any of the input grades to the calculation are missing, then the result of the calculation is also a missing grade.

However, since that change went live, it breaks a different situation that we rely on, so I have an outstanding task on my todo list to make a further change, but I can't remember what that further change is.

I would be interested to hear what other people think the correct behaviour is in this case. In other words:

What should be the result of a calculation where some of the input grades are missing?
Atsakymas į Tim Hunt

Elena Ivanova -
Most of the time here people expect missing grades to be treated as 0.
We have some, but not a lot of faculty, who prefer to see running total (which can be achieved by regular way of aggregating category and checking aggregate non-empty grades checkbox). Yet some people want both, which is also doable.
So for us it is working as expected.

Toni, there was a nice formula posted in this thread.
I believe it can help you to figure out yours, as they had the same situation as you describe besišypsantis

Atsakymas į Elena Ivanova

Tim Hunt -
Core developers paveikslėlis Documentation writers paveikslėlis Particularly helpful Moodlers paveikslėlis Peer reviewers paveikslėlis Plugin developers paveikslėlis
I forget to look this up in our bug tracker today.

I think what I was supposed to be doing was changing it so that if ALL the input grades were null, then the output was null, otherwise if null is treated as 0.

(Rather than the current situation at the OU where if ANY of the input grades are null, the output is null.) I forget what standard Moodle does in this case.