imported PowerPoint does not show Arabic content

imported PowerPoint does not show Arabic content

by Murad Jamal -
Number of replies: 8

when I upload a powerpoint zipped folder into my lesson (as documented in MoodleDocs), it will import it successfully, but this only works in English case ..

but if the slide contains some Arabic language text, it will now show it on the page !!

does anyone know the reason ?

p.s. the name of the powerpoint zipped folder must be in English language in all cases.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murad Jamal

Re: imported PowerPoint does not show Arabic content

by Murad Jamal -
anyone has an idea about this issue ... 'coz I really need it ...
In reply to Murad Jamal

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Murad

My understanding is that if you have content on the PowerPoint in a different language to English it would not make any difference.

For example, if the file is uploaded to the Files area, and then a Student downloads it, it will be the original, Moodle would not change it. So, you could link to the file, at least that way Students will be able to access it OK smile

However, viewing a PowerPoint in a browser plugin, I guess might work differently depending on the plugin?

Importing text is different though. So have you got the Arabic language pack installed in Moodle? Also, if the database is in UTF8 Unicode it should handle multiple languages correctly.

However, bear in mind that the Lesson module PowerPoint import features are very basic, so this may indeed be a limitation sad

These are ideas - but someone else may have a definitive solution?

Stuart
In reply to Murad Jamal

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Murad,
I have no experience with non-English PowerPoint imports or any operating system set up in Arabic, but hours and hours figuring out what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks for the tip about the file name must be in English.

I agree with Stuart that most problems with importing PowerPoint are because the PowerPoint is too complicated. It is possible that importppt.php thinks standard Arabic formatting is complicated. Stuart has give us some excellent clues where to look.

My experience says to take things 1 step at a time and see when importppt breaks. You took the first setp in trying to import the English zip file. using the MDL-15755 set of files in English . Did you see if you could create the zip file from the English PPT and import that zip. If successful, then I would change the English characters to Arabic in the English PPT, create a zip file and try importing that. If successful, then I would take a blank PPT and recreate the successful import in Arabic. You may have already done this.

I know that the 1 step at a time process takes a lot of time. I invested the time because some instructors wanted to change the text in a lesson page and did not like my importing images of PPT pages solution to their fancy PowerPoints. I needed to be able to tell them (with confidence and authority), "your PowerPoints must be like this, or it is not going to work and it will be a waste of time and energy." My sympathies to dealing with this in Arabic.

Hope we helps you find a solution. Did you ask this question in an Arabic forum?

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Murad Jamal -

thank you Stuart and Chris for your possible solutions, we have solved this problem.

the importing process was successfull in all cases, but as i said, in case of Arabic content, it will display empty pages, so w ehave solved these issues:

1) when you upload a powerpoint that contains some content and ONE IMAGE, this image will cause Lesson to produce two empty pages, this has been solved.

2) the character encoding of Arabic letters problem solved with the function: iconv

we have used it like this:

iconv('windows-1256','utf-8',$matches[3][0]);

so the import of Arabic slides has become successfull.

3) after importing powerpoint (English or Arabic), Lesson module will take the title of the slide as part of the content and displays both title and content together on Lesson page, and thus, displaying the Page1 or Page2 or Page3 ...Page( n ) etc as the title of the page instead of displaying the real title from the imported slide. this also has been solved.

so thank you so much for your kind help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Murad Jamal

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Murad,
I add a short description of your solution to Import PowerPoint under tips and tricks. Wonder if this is also an issue in other languages.

Thanks for the update.
In reply to Chris Collman

by Germán Valero -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It is an important issue for spanish language MOODLE users, but there is a simple pathway to successfully import spanish-language PPT files into Moodle 1.9.x & Mooodle 2.0.2 lessons: You MUST save the powerpoint HTML with a UTF8 encoding. It is cumbersome, but it will save you a lot of time when you basically want to make a Moodle lesson with the text and images you already have inside a powerpoint presentation.  The full procedure is described in spanish in the following paragraphs:

Para los usuarios en español que tienen su sitio Moodle codificado en UTF-8 (recomendado), existe el problema de que se trunca la importación de archivos PowerPoint a lecciones cuando las transparencias de PowerPoint tienen eñes y letras acentuadas (á,é,í,ó,ú).

La solución es simple: Se requiere editar las opciones de PowerPoint que grabe los archivos con codificación UTF8, en lugar de la que normalmente usa por default.

Abre tu presentación. En PowerPoint 2003 elige HERRAMIENTAS, luego OPCIONES, en GENERAL elige OPCIONES WEB, En CODIFICACION cambia la que estaba por Unicode (UTF-8). Guarda la presentacion como páginas web y luego ZIPea el directorio donde están todas las imágenes, sube el archivo zip y funciona como magia.

En PowerPoint 2007 tienes que navegar un poco más para elegir las mismas opciones.

Finally, (the new) Office 2010 will not allow you to save your powerpoint presentation into HTML. Work-arounds do exist, but it is easier and cheaper to use LibreOffice instead. You can also use a Virtual Machine (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc)  with the old (user-friendly) Office 2003 installed.

In reply to Murad Jamal

by Stuart Mealor -
Thanks for posting your findings back here Murad.
It's excellent, because the conversation (problem>>>ideas>>>solutions), may now help others also smile
Thanks, Stuart.