Is "Turn editing on" button missing?

Re: Is "Turn editing on" button missing?

by Marc Couture -
Number of replies: 4

I know this is an older thread, but I still can't figure out why the decision was made to remove the edit mode button and ask users to scroll down and go to Settings to turn it on or off.  From an ergonomic standpoint, having a previously fixed function constantly move up and down the screen (as the navigation block displays a variable number of items in its menus) is counter-productive.  Even more so when editing content pages.
Is there a way to modify a standard 2.x theme to include the button?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Rebecca Trynes -

I very much agree - When looking at the code in Firebug, I notice that the navbutton div is still there, but greyed out. Is there any override renderers I can use to turn this back on?! Or something I can add to a layout php file? Like general.php?! I want that button on all the course pages, not just that first page.

In reply to Rebecca Trynes

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What theme are you using? What pages do you not see the button on?

I have the turn editing on button on my theme in my course pages

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Rebecca Trynes -

I have it on the main course page, but not any of the subsequent pages that you go into - books for example. I want it in the navbar wherever you are - going into the settings menu is not intuitive, especially when you have the button on the main course page.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can also put the Settings/Admin block in the Dock, to have it always usable without going up/down the page.