With the help of Dongsheng Cai in Moodle Support, we found the cause of my problem in upgrading to Moodle 2.0.
There seems to be a bug in the way the Glossary auto-linking works. I had the Glossary set to auto link in Moodle 1.9.9 and it worked great. So when I upgraded to Moodle 2.0, the Glossary setting was in the data so when I tried to open the new install, it would lock up the browser with Firefox and IE.
It seems that the Java in Glossary does not work in Moodle 2.0 yet.
I did learn that Google Chrome handles Java better than other browsers so I could open Moodle 2.0 in Chrome and changed the Glossary setting to NOT allow auto linking.
Now my site works win Firefox, IE7 or 8, Opera, Safari, and Goodle Chrome.
Many thanks to Dongsheng Cai and the Moodle Development team.