Please help test a new geolocation service

Please help test a new geolocation service

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The current method we are using for locating IP addresses is quite innaccurate  ... I was hoping to replace it with hostip.info.

A little demo is here ... can everyone please go here and try it?  smile

(Requires Java, unfortunately  wink)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Please help test a new geolocation service

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I like Java big grin
If there are any problems with Java in general, let me know wink

I had to supply my Country/City - but now it works...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Dr. Ali Abureesh -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Translators
I did the same. It worked after I put country & city in hostip.info. link, but Martin's link did not work. The map didn't show.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Tony Hursh -
Worked for me, though I also had to put in my info.

I like Java, too, actually. I like it even more now that we're requiring our students to install Sun Java when they come into our program. smile

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Bob Boufford -

Hi,

Actually, I'm getting to hate Java more every day supporting a course management system and a web conferencing system that depends extensively on Java.

It's not so much Java itself but the lousy installers developed by Sun and some developers writing for a very specific version of Java.

Every time a new version of the Sun Java plugin comes out, the installer does not detect an old version and asks about removing it but just installs a new version along with the old one. We have had constant nagging little issues when a system has multiple versions of the Java plugin. Once we rip out all the old plugins, the problems usually go away. It's all the "hand holding" hassles of helping students clean up the mess left by the Sun Java installer. Sun should take a lesson from Macromedia with their Flash plugin installer.

The other problem is Java developers who write to a specific version ofJava. So we are sometimes stuck having to support two or more versions of Java on one system and it's back the first issue of conflicts between Java versions. If we have both Microsoft VM and Sun Java on an older Windows system, even more excitement. sad

Personally, I hope Martin never allows Java to become part of the Moodle core.

My 2 cents...

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
sad I do not want to but I must agree with all above, but I still like Java the language much more than PHP...
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Tony Hursh -
I love writing Java, but deploying it is quite painful. sad

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Petr Skoda -
For me it is a nice easter egg, there could be more in Moodle. Students could be inspired to search for them wink
In reply to Bob Boufford

by Ray Lawrence -
Hmmm .... interesting development, two topics, one discussion.

Geolocation service
Java
Didn't work at all from home.
Agree with Bob. Having been caught out by not having not quite the right version of Java on a machine and having read hundereds (yes!) of posts on the Toolbook list about Java problems I'd be delighted if Martin keeps away from Java.
I've never had a problem with compatibilty when using Moodle.

Toolbook list - have a look now, I'm confident you'll find some "Java issues" thread pretty easily.

Ray

(where am I?)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Crafton Williams -
I too had had to supply my country and city before it would work.
In reply to Petr Skoda

Some really offtopic opinions on Java

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Java for a heavy corporate server application, sure, I can see that. A good friend of mine has created a very heavy duty SMS application in Java and it's nice.

Java for a light and flexible server application like Moodle, no way.

Java applets for interactivity on a web page? Rarely is it better than Flash. wink

Re: Some really offtopic opinions on Java

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
PHP and MySQL may meet the limited requirements of the hobbiest programmer and lifelong colonial student, but it lacks the robust software engineering benefits and the full spectrum technology that Java offers.

The portable Java Virtual Macine (JVM) combined with JDBC database and public key infrastructure allows the concentration on key competencies to address world class benefits.

Java offers the ability to synergise the paradigm shifing capabilities of EJB/JSP technologies combined with distributed fallback replication. Organisations can go forward to enhance shareholder value in a customer focused and IP leveraged, forward looking posture.

The write once/run anywhere portability of the JVM means that your bytecode can execute on any delivery platform from the multi-cpu paralell sparcstation to the pico-java phone or pda platform in an on-demand world.

Java: enhancing resumes daily

In reply to Marcus Green

by Michael Penney -
Yeah, php has nothing like Java's built-in spin manager!

In reply to Marcus Green

by Martin Dougiamas -
> lifelong colonial student

LOL - I shall call myself that from now on.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dammn, I was hoping you would take a fence. But then a nation of underarm bowlers needs a thick skin

(I had to have that particular insult explained in slow word by word detail before I understood it)

Interestingly a little bird told me that the sale of PHP books is on the climb and the sales of Java books is static or declining.  Will now go back to writing my latest Java book....

by Conrad Taylor -

Didn't work at all for me from home, will try at work 2morrow, to see if java version is causing the problem..

Excellent feature... I must say.

by David Scotson -

Am I missing something? Where in Moodle does it need to know the geographic location of IP addresses? And what system is currently used for this? (edit: did a search and found out the answers for myself. You learn something new every day!)

Regarding the demo, the system returned nothing when I went to look at the Choice but this was a deceptively poor showing as when I clicked through to hostip.info it got the country at least correct, though it just guessed at the town/city.

This seems to be happening to others as I note the results are one third 'exactly right' and two thirds 'Could not locate my IP address at all'.

In reply to David Scotson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, for anyone else who never noticed this, try clicking on the IP addresses in the Moodle logs.

by Teemu Sumi -
Bingo! I live in Hameenlinna (only 40000 people) and it found it on the first try.

Will this work also with browsers which are older than Netscape 6 and IE 5.5? I tested with Mozilla 1.7.2.

Teemu

by Martín Langhoff -
Martin, how is the testing of this new gadget going?

Petr was hinting this could have a place in the 1.4.3 release. It seems to me you are still very much experimenting with it. On the other hand, it's had a couple of weeks of use.

I note that it adds a Java requirement for the client that wasn't there before.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Martin Dougiamas -
I was really testing the database, not the java client.  Anyhow, it's not good enough and certainly would not be going in 1.4.x or even 1.5.