Raising funds for Quiz module

Raising funds for Quiz module

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 28
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK. Here's the situation.

• The Quiz module is very popular.
  • A lot of people want many improvements to this module.
  • A lot of these people are using Moodle quizzes for commercial purposes.
  • Henrik Kaipe is a good programmer who knows the Quiz module inside-out.
  • Henrik Kaipe would be an excellent regular maintainer of the Quiz module, and able to make all your dreams for it come true.
  • Henrik Kaipe has to make a Swedish living and costs significant money.
  • I don't have enough money for this - what I do have is going on Moodle core development.

There have been various small donations, promises and individual developments done in the past via moodle.com, which has been great, but this module needs a regular stream of cash and concentrated attention.

Does anyone have any ideas about finding an ongoing sponsor for this module?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Raising funds for Quiz module

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Fundraising should be fun! big grin

I love the quiz module (I swear, honest to God, that I always use it socio-constructively!) and it sounds like Martin's suggestion for Henrik as a ongoing maintainer is an ideal solution. Martin really needs to focus on the core structure and developing new collaborative technologies. So here is a plan to consider...

1) Develop a Fund-raising module
- moodlers make feature requests
- a new feature is listed with a price tag.
- new donations are listed, and a little red line (like a thermometer rises to the goal)
- when the goal is reached, the ongoing maintainer goes to work.
- everyone can see the status of the project publicly, and everyone can effect the speed of implementation. That's fun!

2) Later, feature discussions can be limited to the donors only, or open to the general Moodle community.

3) What else?

So the only question I have is who would be willing to program a Donor/Fun-draising Module? I will contribute $100 just to get that going.

This module would be useful not only for the Quiz Module, but fun-draising for all old and new modules. I feel like this tool could help Moodle explode to a higher speed of development by expanding the number of paid programmers.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Dennis Daniels -
I'm good for $50 sight seen everyday smile
Where do I send it?
dgd
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Don Hinkelman -
Send to Moodle Paypal. Write in the message box: Donation for Fun-draising Module.

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

When you have something to do, don't wait, do it !! So I send my personal donation sourire (my organisation is not currently using and supporting Moodle, but yesterday one of the "big heads" here asks me about Moodle so maybe there is some hope... grand sourire). Should not be THAT difficult to find 99 other Moodle users around the world each year wanting to do the same thing. ?

Maybe as I have some programming skills it's also time to participate more actively. QTI, long answer, or one question per page are too big tasks for a beginning so maybe I will concentrate on report/fullstat.

I already submitted some bug reports for this one and have seen some others too.

Henrik, did you look at this one or have some plans ?

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Don Hinkelman -
How much did you send, Jean-Michel?  I heard at least $150 has been sent to Moodle Paypal for this project.  I did a little programming wink  myself and whipped up this donation thermometer.

Start       Current                                                                                  Goal
|            |                                                                                                 |
   $150    

Thanks to following donors...
- anonymous    $100
- dennis             $50
- jean-michel   ???euro

by Michael Penney -
I'd second the idea posted elsewhere on this thread. Universities using Moodle (in the US anyway) don't generally have a mechanism for donations. Some sort of professional journal subscription or other standard mechanism would make it easier for U's to "donate".

Might I suggest: The Journal of Open Source Online Assessmentsmile.

Re: Raising funds for Quiz module - Drop cash

by Timothy Takemoto -

Don, Martin

I think that Don's bar chart has got to be a very good thing. The Web and the Moodle community should be providing ways for people to bundle their cash together to purchase things.

And lo an behold, someone is creating this kind of donation module. Please see the following link.
http://dropcash.blogspot.com/
http://www.dropcash.com/doc/api.php
There may be advantages in creating a moodle module for this but dropcash seems to be providing the functionality laready. Peraps Heinrik would like to add some chash drops?

And what about the journal? "The Journal of Online Assessment," sounds cool. Are there any editors? Referees?

Tim

Re: Raising funds for Quiz module -- more hats?

by Timothy Takemoto -

Martin, Don

Are funds required just to keep the module going? With the exception of the new window (that quote is being processed) it is working pretty well for me at the moment. Of course there are things that I would like.

I personally I have got poor recently. I wonder if there is a way of getting my university to pay. My guess is though that they would only pay for somethig specific. If there were lots of quotes then there would be more chance that some money might be forthcoming. I am scared to ask for quotes because I have had about 5 with no funds forthcoming but I think that might be in the future, and the more pieces of paper that I could fire at my boss the higher the likelyhood is.

I like the idea of Don's Fund raising module, A way of collecting a lot of small donations is something that I think we really need. I can afford the occasional few dollars and perhaps there are others that can do so too so it would be nice to be able to gather us together in some way. It would help if the fund raising module were to be integrate to the forums since so that people can see the lack of funds as they ask for support.

As Don suggests some sort of privelidge for those that donate may also be effective, if carefully controlled. A private donors forum would be nice, but it approaches "services is provided for a pro-version." 

Perhaps a "donors' hat" on the forums might be feasible. I am not sure that I want a hat (I would prefer the other type!), but I think that if I did not have a hat and other posters did, then I would be inclined to want to buy one before posting my lame questions to the forums.  The hats could be forum limted perhaps. I.e. in order to get a hat on posts to this forum then one would have to have donated to the quiz module. And of course, I think that people would be more inclined to help the hat wears faster. 

I seem to remember suggesting this before.

Tim
takemoto

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Tony Hursh -
I wonder if there is a way of getting my university to pay. My guess is though that they would only pay for somethig specific.

Yes, that's the way it is for us. It's much easier for us to fund something specific than to give an outright donation.

Hmm... this just occurred to me (perhaps someone has already thought of it). How about a Moodle professional organization on a slightly lower level than the full-blown support contracts at moodle.com? If there were an organization (especially one that produced some kind of journal), the powers that be would be fairly comfortable with a request for funds to join it, I think. We already belong to numerous professional organizations, some of which are quite expensive.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Timothy Takemoto -

I like the idea of a Moodle organisation, and the journal.

Tim

In reply to Tony Hursh

by James Depow -

I agree with Tony.  In my environment, it would be difficult to gain approval for a donation.  But it is possible to join an organization, and I would be pleased to join this group (a clever idea to circumvent bureaucratic restrictions evil)

Jim

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is a good idea and one I've often thought about too, but it does mean a whole lot of work up front (to create and manage the thing).  Plus there are all sorts of issues like how different features fit together, and what happens when a particular total isn't reached. I fear the management would be overwhelming. This is probably why this approach is rare in Open Source.  The only example I can think of is Blender.

However, if the processes for managing small donations could be worked out then it would be great.

Ideally I'd like one company/institution to just sponsor the whole module. big grin

by Don Hinkelman -
Come on, IBM. Where are you? I'll bet we would even be willing to change our site colors to blue, for you smile

Is there really a commercial user/university out here ready to commit, say, $10,000 per year to "own" and love the quiz module? Sad to say, I fear (or should I say cherish) that Moodle expansion will be fueled by the same energy that built its birth, the passion of grassroots teachers. Management hassles a plenty, hundreds of small donations maybe our only answer if no big boy steps forward.

by Peter Ward -

I'd like to use moodle's quiz module for commercial purposes but need to see it develop further with regards Flash integration e.t.c.

What would a commercial sponsor like me get back for their $10,000 per year and what do you mean by

> to "own" and love the quiz module 

within the context of open source.

Go on, sell me the idea!

In reply to Peter Ward

by Timothy Takemoto -

How much money are we talking about?

While I am grateful and beholden to Heinrik, does Heinrik actively want to keep developing the quiz module or might he be prepared to let someone else take up the job. It may be easier to find development staff than it would be to find development funds.

I am also interested in the answer to Peter Ward's question...What happens when one takes over the development of the quiz module?

Might one be able to put stipulations on how the code can be used? I ask because my university is thinking of making a much lighter, desktop quizzer for use by home, self-study pundits who purchase a textbook with some bundled materials. If the institution that supports the quiz module could specify that the module is FREE to use, upgrade, and sell *within moodle* but that only the sponsor can offer it as a standalone piece of software then perhaps that would create the required motivation for someone to take over the quiz module? This is probably impossible. Perhaps not quite that stringent... er.. if used outside of moodle then it must bear the sponosring institutions banner?

Tim

In reply to Peter Ward

by Martin Dougiamas -
(As an aside, Don picked that number out of the air ... a more realistic amount might be closer to $30,000/year)

A few thoughts, Peter:

• You would be perfectly entitled to have logos and links on the Quiz module page, on the modules download page and the credits page too under Sponsors.

• Moodle groupies will kiss your feet and send you postcards.

• You would have some say over the priority of feature development, by choosing from a pool of collaboratively-designed specifications.
  • All the source code can be made copyright to you, but must be made available under the GPL license (which means Moodle can use it).

• Moodle gets bigger and better and you protect your investments.
In reply to Peter Ward

by Don Hinkelman -
Martin wrote:
Moodle groupies will kiss your feet and send you postcards.

Peter, what exactly is your postal address?

Re: Raising funds for Quiz module or any other development !

by Joyce Smith -
I am with you Don !
Over 2,000 registered sites at $100 US each for such a great service we receive from Moodle.org , would have to be 'attractive ' and indeed 'affordable' to most of us !  Hosting the site itself must 'cost' Martin , yet we can 'drop in' every day and find solutions to problems and more importantly a place to 'communicate ' , share experiences ,and make friends .
Just as an 'aside' comment, most of us have the priviledge of being  'caught' by the Google bots , because (INMHO) we are 'associated'  with the high activity on Moodle.org . I had my first 'web contact' form back from my small site this week , chuffed to bits !! Source was Google, many thanks to all the moodlers who have visted my site as testers !! your activity made it happen for me !
lets all 'contribute' what we can afford .
Joyce
thoughtful

by Timothy Takemoto -
So donor hats are not on then?
I would attempt to help the hatted in haste.
TIm
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
I like hats, but last time I tried it things got a bit contentious. Will people who can't donate financially feel discriminated against?  Will people who submit code get a hat?  Do people who submit code that no-one wants get a hat?  Do people who donate $2 get a hat? Same as those who put in $2000? If so, where's the incentive? Do we have ten groups for different levels? (like Sourceforge do)? Who manages all this?

by Timothy Takemoto -

Martin,

The last hat attempt did not have a clear-cut hat-criterior. I cried myself to sleep. Perhaps people would not mind if there were such criterior.

Also the benefits of the last hat experiment were less clear. Payment, on the other hand, is a very important issue. I think that everyone wants to see the Moodle Trust getting paid.

And also donor hats do not grade people upon their skill/knowledge. I think that it will largely factor upon desire (for support) and wallet size, with an sprinkling of honor.

I guess there would be as many groups as there are levels. It is up to you to choose the levels. Maybe starting at $50, then $100 and then going up in $100's or something. $50 is not a lot to pay for a system of this size. Perhaps the cost of the first hat could be made dependent upon where the donor comes from.

I think that 6 groups would do it.

$50 (industrial nations), $25 (semi-industrial?) $10 ("largely pre-industrial)) blue
$100 red
$200 silver (white)
$300 gold
$500 planinum (? white on blue? purple?) 
$1000 diamond (sparking gif) 

If you got $1000 from just 5% of users it would be a tidy sum. Those donating more than $1000 are probably not all that interested in hats.

What to do about developers is more difficult. I am not sure. Perhaps that is where the system falls down? If the hats are exclusively MONEY though, (perhaps they should be coins, not hats) then perhaps this is a different issue. And the major advantage (support) may not be all that much of an incentive to developers. Alternatively developers could purchase hats by asking people to donate for the code they developer.

If Sourceforge does it then it can not be such a bad idea.

Looking at your donations page it seems that there would not be all that much work. One donation a week?! I would, of course, be happy to assign members to groups if I were notified of the amount when paypal donations came in. That would mean being a Using Moodle moderator wouldn't it? Wow. I for one, would pay for the privelidge, and a better hat.

Tim
Takemoto

by Joyce Smith -
Martin  , I might be way off centre here, but Peter mentioned 'Flash '  'stuff'
and other threads have also commented on even 'paying ' for development of 'Flash stuff' , you  also commented in a couple of threads that the Flash could be brought into the SCORM module in Moodle. Just a thought, but, would it perhaps be an idea to get the SCORM module really grabbing the scores etc , and allowing each 'site' to use their own 'quiz, flash ' type software and packaging, to produce the SCORM's ? Seems to me that in some way ,you are being asked to develop (with quizzes) a lot more than I personally have experienced available in BB ! (as a student) and, that I would expect to be available in Moodle!
As I said, just a thought !
Joyce shy

by Don Hinkelman -
I like hats, but last time I tried it things got a bit contentious.
Let me handle the contentious ones. big grin

Will people who can't donate financially feel discriminated against?
No.

Will people who submit code get a hat?
Yes.

Do people who submit code that no-one wants get a hat?
Yes, they will get a hat that no one wants. wink

Do people who donate $2 get a hat?
Yes.

Same as those who put in $2000?
Yes. Or maybe a cooler hat. cool

If so, where's the incentive? Do we have ten groups for different levels?
No. So far Moodle has been built without explicit incentives. That can continue. But those who cannot code can now participate and support those who can code but need finances for their living. And those who contribute will see clear results for a specific donation.

Who manages all this?
Henrik does. With a few appointed cheerleaders and evangelists. Actually, it is most important to hear what you are comfortable with, Henrik. I would like to help organize a system for small donations (to hopefully complement a big donor(s) to whom I will happily send cards of appreciation to. How do you feel about this, Henrik?

I think we need a very simple system (no hats, actually). One that is built upon a lot of trust and good will. I imagine this next year something like this...

1. Moodlers make requests for quiz module
- we compile ten or so feature requests
- one or two knarly difficult platform restructurings (flash question)
2. Henrik chooses 4-5 simpler ones and puts a programming fee to each one, including time for integrating into the whole module and moodle as a whole.
3. Fees are published and donations solicted by a cheerleader (4-5 needed, one per project). Moodlers send donations ($2, $20, $200) to moodle.org
4. moodle.org sends donation reports to cheerleader
5. cheerleader updates red donation thermometer. Shall we use wikis?
6. When goal is reached, moodle.org sends money to Henrik.
7. Henrik does programming. He confers with moodlers as needed.
8. Discussions happen publically with anyone for these small ones.
9. Henrik listens a little harder to those who donated. smile
10. Cheerleader moderates forum/wiki.
11. When feature is completed, effusive cheers behold all Moodleland. Statues are erected. Stories told to grandchildren. Conquering heros welcomed home to warm beds and hot food.

For a big, knarlly, complicated project, we would do much in the same spirit. Except that we may need a big donor to lead the project. In that case, we should set up a private forum for invited donors to discuss with Henrik, but keep a public forum as well for general input.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Martin Dougiamas -
I'm not ignoring this good plan, Don, I'm just looking at it with my hands upturned thinking "I don't have time for any of this". I assume that Henrik is not interested in managing all the details either.

Someone else needs to own and organise this.

by elearning edu -
The purpose will be to bring all moodle oriented industries, institues and individuals under one single umbrella. I am aware of a similar initiative http://www.gelia.org/member_services.htm
I am a member there. There is a provision for a journal. Restructuring the moodle.org (requesting the community members to opt for a membership) in the proposed Moodle Elearning Association will not be a difficult task. Running a journal once again will be a normal job for academic like me( I was a journal secretary editing three Psychological journals)
One of my partners Mr.Richard Brincefield of global Literacy (Moodle community member) is closely associated with Gelia.
In case we cannot start an association of our own immediately, we may establish a strategic partnership with them to develop moodle related activities.
Nagarajan.
In reply to elearning edu

by Don Hinkelman -
I would strongly support Nagarajan's proposals.

by Josep M. Fontana -
I think we are deviating a bit from the initial objective of this thread. We are talking about finding better ways in which institutions or individuals could donate to Moodle. Which is very good, and I think the subscription idea is a very good one.

But I don't think this scheme might work for things like introducing specific improvements in a module or creating a specific new module that a group of people think they need. How would we go about doing that? You pay for 2 or 20 subscriptions depending on the magnitude of the job you need to get done? Do you contact a specific developer and tell him/her that you have paid for 15 subscriptions and therefore you need him/her to work on this or that?

I think that, without abandoning this thread about donations which should be continued here or elsewhere, we should go back to discussing Martin's original proposal for funding of specific developments that certain institutions or grups of people consider important but that are not considered priorities in the core Moodle development.

In this respect what I have to say is that it would be wonderful if we could find some individual, company or institution that would cough up $30,000 (these are Australian dollars or US dollars, by the way? smile) to take care of all the needs of the quiz module or any other module for that matter.

Call me party pooper but I'm pretty skeptical that this can happen any time soon (and believe me, I'd love to be wrong on this one). In the meantime, though, there might be considerable amounts of money here and there that could be used to support good Moodle developers like Henrik and to make Moodle even better. This sums of money will be lost (to Moodle) because we cannot find a good way to channel them.  Assuming this can be organized properly (and I do understand Martin's concerns that this might be a complicated job) if we manage to put together $50 here, $500 there, $1000 there and so on, this could amount to some interesting sums of money that otherwise would go unused. I don't know what the constraints of other people are, but I think many institutions or companies or people like me who have money from grants would only need some kind of document or bill stating that a particular job has been performed. This might be a bit more administrative work, but it might be worth it for Moodle developers.

Just my 5 (and a half) cents.

Josep M.

by Ralph Blakeslee -
For about a year I took out a "subscription" to Alexander Graef's website Portalzine.de. He used PayPal to collect payments. Alexander developed PostNuke modules and hacks and provided them to his subscribers. It worked very well and I was able to gain access to some cutting edge work that I was incapable of doing myself. Unfortunately Alexander decided to discontinue his subscription because some of his less ethical subscribers were giving away his work to their friends.

Can't we do something similar? I have gotten to the point were I have some income developing from my site and I feel an obligation to contribute. This would be a perfect opportunity.

Ralph

ps - I'll bite - is making a "Swedish living..." different then making a living is Australia? or the US? thoughtful

REB