Autolink from Metacourse glossary to child courses

Autolink from Metacourse glossary to child courses

de Marcus Hoberg -
Number of replies: 8

Dear moodlers,

we are currently discussing how to use glossaries across a number of courses. One way is to create a metacourse which includes the glossary, and having several child courses with students.

1. Autolink does not work from the metacourse glossary entries to the child course text. How do students know that the phrase is in the glossary?

2. In order to enter the glossary, students will have to switch from the child course to the relevant metacourse. Isn´t that confusing for students?

3. The platform wide glossary is no solution, as we have several countries and this way languages on the first level of course navigation, and in addition to that I (= admin) am not responsible for course content. Is it possible to have several glossaries defined in the context of a course category (e.g. = country)?

Do you have any better solution to share one glossary across several courses?

Best regards, Marcus

Promeyo de puntuacions: -
In reply to Marcus Hoberg

Re: Autolink from Metacourse glossary to child courses

de Joseph Rézeau -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

de Marcus Hoberg -

Thanks Joseph,

hmmm. If there is no way to "share" a glossary it may be helpful to create a self standing html glossary (micro web site) and to simply link it as resource to the relevant courses. At least this would be a single resource preventing us from multi-glossary-changes (when copying the glossary to several courses).

Does anybody know a good freeware html glossary-maker?

Best Regs, Marcus

de Joseph Rézeau -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators

Marcus,

If you do that, then you would loose a very useful feature of Moodle's Glossary i.e. the dyanmic generation of hyperlinks to the glossary entries in your HTML texts in courses.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

de Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Joseph,

yes, I´m aware of this. For several reasons we today have most of the content in html learning objects created by an authoring tool (EasyProf which supports nice interactive features). The LOs are attached to the moodle courses via static links. This gives us the option to link one resource to several courses (single resource), and to produce offline learning CD ROMs for those who have no access to our intranet. The downside of this is that we can´t use autolink. But for us today, copying resources to several courses is the bigger pain ("version chaos").

It would be nice to use glossaries on context levels, just like question buffers. Than, in our structure, we would have one glossary for one course category (e.g. country).

Best Regards, Marcus

de Jon Tomlinson -

I too would like to share one glossary accross several courses.

I was wondering if I could create a (hard-coded) hyperlink to my Glossary and put it either in an html block or in my navigation menu.

Does anyone have experience of sharing a glossary?

In reply to Jon Tomlinson

de Joseph Rézeau -

Jon "I was wondering if I could create a (hard-coded) hyperlink to my Glossary and put it either in an html block or in my navigation menu."

Well, do try it and report your findings here.

de Steven Cobb -

Has anyone found a solution to this? I cannot accept that I have to export and import a glossary to multiple classes every time I update the main glossary. I can't help but think this is possible.

On my server when I update the instance id of the record that corresponds to the glossary on one course to the id of a glossary from another course, then glossary is truly shared. The only thing that is not working are the links to images that I've included and the automatic linking of glossary terms.

I'm going to work on a solution to this. The ability to share a glossary is crucial as I'm using Moodle to teach music lessons. Each course is going to change to fit that particular student, but I want the same glossary to be shared throughout all of the courses in one particular area of study. If I have 50 vocal students each with their own unique course, I would like the glossary immediately available at the top of their course and shared between all of them.

Is there a solution already made for this?