Forums and Groups

Forums and Groups

by Adrian Black -
Number of replies: 9
Please bear with me - this is likely to be a winding explanation/question.

A while ago our quality manager decided that having a technical forum was a good idea, and set one up.

The idea being that if a student had any problem with a course they could post there and have the query answered without having to resort to emails to the designers/teachers.

This was all ok whilst we had only one set of students in one company.

Now we have multiple companies with multiple departments - and they can all see each others posts on the technical forum (not the desired result)

To make matters worse when they subscribe (aka they get an email of anything posted to the forum) they are getting emails that look to them like they are from other companies and departments.

To address the problem I tried switching the forum to separate groups - with the idea that people would only see posts from other people in their group.

That's when I hit the snag - no one was allowed to post to the forum as only I had the authority to post to the group "all_participants".

Now I am once again stumped.

Can someone point me to something to read that will show me how the forums/courses should be set up to achieve what I want (ie separate groups where a student can post obvlivious of what is going on in other groups), or more importantly something to read that will allow me to alter what I have to what I need ?

Hope that makes sense to someone.

Any assistance appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Black

Re: Forums and Groups

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Not sure you can change the forum once set up but this in the docs might point you in the right direction?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adrian Black -
Thanks Mary -
that does answer the all_participants thing when I post something, but not why a student can't post to the forum at all when I set it to groups - they are seeing "cannot post to all_participants" even tho' they are trying to start a new post.

I suppose one solution would be to create a new forum and migrate the old posts there - but I think I will have to read a little more on forums and their behaviour before I do that in case I end up in a similar situation.
In reply to Adrian Black

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Adrian
It sounds like you have set the forum to Separate Groups? If so make sure the users are associated to the group, when they are they don't get a group dropdown (unless they are members of more than one group) so whenever they post it automatically gets assigned to the relevant group with no option to post to All participants.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Adrian Black -
Thanks for the reply - unfortunately you lost me a little bit there.

"If so make the users are assigned to THE group"

Which group ?
(Each company and department within those companies have their own groups)

I am the administrator - do you mean I should create the forum whilst logged in as part of the group that the students are using, or should I be a member of the group that the students are using ?
( I thought as an administrator I was by default assigned to every group on the system )

Sorry for my ignorance - I think your reply is in the area where I should be looking, but I am getting confused with the whole thing.
In reply to Adrian Black

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. I think Teresa means to make sure that the appropriate users for group 1 (say) are assigned to group 1 etc. Then when you have made a forum set to separate groups YOU will get a drop down. You need to go through each group via the drop down and make an initial post. Then a user in group 1, for example, when they go to the forum, they will only see the post you posted to their group and not all the others - as they will not have a dropdown like you because you have set it up as separate groups.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ernani da Silva -
Hello Mary,
I have tryed to do like you said, but the drop down menu does not apear the groups.
Any tips?
W.Regarding
Ernani
In reply to Ernani da Silva

by Mary Cooch -
Is your course set to groups in the course administration block>settings?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Adrian Black -
Hi yer

Yes my course is set to separate groups as is the forum.
Also all of my students are assigned to the correct groups.
When I post I see the "all_participants" in the top left - with no dropdown list to choose from.

When my students try to post then just see a line above the forum posts "You are not allowed to post to all_participants"

For the time being I have set the forum back to no groups.