TEX Notations Appear Distorted

TEX Notations Appear Distorted

by Sharon R -
Number of replies: 5

I am the Moodle Administrator of two different Moodle installations (different companies & different servers). TEX is working great in my 1.9.5 installation and is not an issue. Dragmath is installed. (See attached screenshot Picture 1)

But in my 1.9.8 installation, TEX appears distorted and I'm not sure what to do to make it right. Dragmath is not yet installed, but will be installed tomorrow. (See attached screenshot Picture 2).

I do not have direct access to the Moodle server, but have a technician that handles that for me. And I am not a math person, so I do not understand much about the math notation. But as you can see in the picture, the same notation appears differently in the two different installations.

What can I do to my 1.9.8 installation to make TEX work like my 1.9.5 installation?

Thanks for your help.

Attachment TEX_Problem.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon R

Re: TEX Notations Appear Distorted

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hard to say what might cause that (maybe some wrong version of latex/dvips/convert binary - GhostScript/ImageMagic) but you could check if changing convert output format from 

Administration > Modules > Filters > TeX Notation

does help (the new setting for png / gif selection was added to Tex filter in moodle 1.9.8.)

Attachment pnggif.gif
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Sharon R -

Thanks for the reply. I looked in the TEX Notation Settings, but I do NOT have this option. I DO have 1.9.8 as our current version too.

I did a search for output, convert, GIF, PNG, JPG, etc in the Admin Block and see no setting like this available.

I'm wondering if I need to check something to have this option available.

Any ideas on why it is not showing up as an option?

Thanks!!

In reply to Sharon R

by Mauno Korpelainen -

This feature was added to settings of tex filter in moodle 1.9.8+ on Apr 10th so you may have an older version. It is also possible to edit files of tex filter manually and change gifs to pngs but you could as well upgrade to moodle 1.9.9. and change this setting from administration menu...

Check for example http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10197 

by Sharon R -
Thanks for your reply. We upgraded after April 10, but perhaps we did not get the latest build. I have sent your reply to my technician so he can take a look tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Re: TEX Notations Appear Distorted - SOLVED

by Sharon R -
This was EXACTLY the problem. Although I do not have that option available in my Admin settings, my tech was able to change this in the programming code. Thanks SO MUCH for your suggestion!