Starting the chat daemon problem

by Dale Jones -
Number of replies: 4
I'm trying to get the chat daemon working.  Using SSH, I'm in

../moodle/mod/chat

and I've tried to start the daemon with

php chatd.php --start &

but I get this message:

>Error: Database connection failed.</p><p>It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.</p><p>The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

This is on a brand new install, and there's only me using it so I think it unlikely that the database is overloadedsmile.  Config.php is OK.  Why doesn't this work then?  Should I check the php installation, or something else on the server?
Versions: PHP 4.3.9, MySQL 4.0.22-standard, Apache 1.3.33
TIA
Dale

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Jones

Re: Starting the chat daemon problem

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dale,

Have you checked the settings in Admin block -->  configuration --> modules --> chat?

For example, what setting do you have for the chat server port?  The default is usually 9111.

Just a thought...
In reply to Tim Allen

by Dale Jones -
Thanks Tim, I tried that.  It is set to 9111.  I'm not really that worried about it, I just wanted to try the new daemon.  I can live without it.
In reply to Dale Jones

by John Papaioannou -
Very strange...

Is it possible that the database is configured to accept only a small amount of connections and you are hitting the limit? I can't think of something else right now...

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Dale Jones -
I spoke to my ISP - it turns out that I'm not allowed to run background processes.  Darn , wish I'd thought of that.
Thanks for your suggestions, folks.

DJ