Force password change for new users.

Force password change for new users.

by Max Wild -
Number of replies: 3
We have just upgraded to 1.9 and I find that the CSV upload of new users does not require a password change when they first log in as was the case in 1.8.
Do I have to set the field to Force change in the csv. If so what is its name?
Thanks
Max Wild
Moodle Admin
MHSG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Max Wild

Re: Force password change for new users.

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Max
I suggest you provide a password in the file then when uploading the users choose 'yes' for Select for Bulk Operations. You can then choose 'Force password change'. The users will use the initial password you provide to initially log in and are immediately taken to the change password page.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Max Wild

by Lisa Pedicini -
Doesn't the use of "changeme" as the password without opting for "force change" still work so that new users are required to choose a new password upon first log in? I've always thought that was a neat trick.
In reply to Lisa Pedicini

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Lisa
Yes, this is another way to do it. There is now an additional function to check the password policy too so I think if you give a weak password (one that doesn't fit the password policy) in the cvs file then users are prompted to change it then too.

I use the bulk user action because I can see the list of users on the screen and get a confirmation that they will be prompted to change passwords!

Cheers
Teresa