A simple triangle

Re: A simple triangle

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
OK, I been and looked and have now installed the Asciimath and jsMath filters. I have downloaded your Plugin zip file Muano, and have gone through it, but hesitated at putting into my Moodle.

With what I have seen so far of the AsciiMath, I suspect that this is going to be a lot easier to sell to Teachers than TeX - certainly the limitations of TeX are more severe than I thought - it is hard to learn and while it is gonzo on text it just does not seem to handle images, graphs and shapes too well.

(There are so many different standards and expressions and methodologies and such, that I am experiencing a sensory overload..tongueout )

Now I am starting to see the problem, and it is the same one that I have been seeing since getting involved with Computing. The jargon is so self-centred that there is an underlying assumption that if you need to know then you already know so therefore we can talk in such convoluted terms and you will naturally understand what it is we are talking about. Well, I am just a lower working class peasant who does not scrub up too badly and I have absolutely no idea what it is that you are talking about.

The AsciiMath "tutorial" is more a collection of "Look at me display my brilliance!" than it is helpful. For me, the bottom line is everything needs to be as simple as I can get it. It needs to be explaining things in such a way so that I can ask "How do I -" and the answer is going to be right there. This is for two reasons, firstly, this is going to be displayed to a bunch of Teachers.. previously described as being staid and sedate, and secondly, like most maths teachers, they are as thick as bricks. They may be brilliant at what they do, but anything new just throws them out.

Everything will have to be explained in words of one or two syllables or in maths symbology, or a mix of both preferably.

Any ideas on where I can get a translator?