error running moodle.exe

error running moodle.exe

by Cheryl Thom -
Number of replies: 6
Hi there,
I downloaded the moodle 1.9.8+ for windows to put onto my own system so I can test it out, however when I 'run' the start moodle.exe as the first step, my black command screen comes up and says 'cannot find php.exe must abort the process'
and then it says 'note if you are running moodle.exe from command shell it must be run from it's directory.

What does this mean, and how do I make it work?

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cheryl Thom

Re: error running moodle.exe

by Cheryl Thom -
Ok, I've got it running, but now it gets 'stuck' on the step called Moodle Paths. The diagnostic check all passed, and the next step called Moodle Paths comes up, I click next, and it just goes to 'loading' and then 'done' but a blank screen comes up and I can't get beyond this point in set-up. I am following these instructions:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Complete_install_packages_for_Windows but can't continue with the set-up

Any suggestions?
In reply to Cheryl Thom

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Cheryl,

I've just seen this post, and thought, "Oh dear...what a mess I got you into!", especially when I directed you to download Moodle for Windows in the first place.

What operating system are you using Cheryl? XP or Vista?

Trying to help you...but not sure how yet!

Mary E

In reply to Mary Evans

by Cheryl Thom -
Hi Mary,
No problem....I'm trying to figure this all out!

It's Windows 7 - the latest version.
In reply to Cheryl Thom

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

I've just downloaded the zip to see what's involved.

Let's assume your server is actually installed...OK?

Open your browser...either IE8 or FireFox (I prefer FireFox as it is a far better browser for troubleshooting themes design faults)

In the address bar of your browser, type in http://127.0.0.1/

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Cheryl Thom -
Great - that worked! Thanks!

Is there a way that I can have someone view this test site from their own computer - or do they have to be at my computer to see it?
In reply to Cheryl Thom

by Mary Evans -
Unless you want to allow people to access your computer via remote access, there is no way others can view your stand alone Moodle site, unless they are sat at your computer.

Mary