I was reading an article today ("Tools for Online Engagement and Communication", by Richard S. Lavin, Paul A. Beaufait, and Joseph Tomei), and they mentioned about calculating your "Weblog Assessment Index (WAI)" as a possible way to "evaluate" blogs (as student assignments). Just wondering whether there are any teachers out there (especially EFL teachers) who are using this strategy as one possible way for assessment? Here is an example about how to "calculating your Weblog Assessment Index (WAI)":
- Take the number of words you (student) have written
- Add the number of posts x 20
- Add the lowest number of monthly posts x 100
- Add the number of vocabulary posts x 50
- Add the number of book posts (reviews, etc.) x 50
- .....[add your own rules here]
1. For those who are using WAI (or similar ideas) for evaluating blogs, do you feel this is an effective way as an assessment tool? Could you share your experience with us?
2. If this WAI is helpful, I wonder if we could develop a tool within Moodle so that Moodle blogs could automatically calculate WAI. This sounds like a task that could be automated instead of using teacher's precious time to manually calculate the scores. What do people think?