Add logo and color

Add logo and color

av Cheryl Thom -
Antall svar: 30
Hi there,
I am new to this, and am wondering, is it simple to just add our company logo to the top of our site? And, can we use one of the standard themes, but just change the background color to our site?
Do I need to learn html to do this? And do I need access to a cpanel to do this - or can it just be done inside moodle - ie. through the admin block?

just as an example - on moodle.org at the top the 'moodle' logo appears, how did they get that there?
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

Re: Add logo and color

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators
Hi againsmile Big question! For the most part you need to get to the theme files on the server but as a quick simple fix if you change your theme to standard logo you can then upload your own banner into the site files (front page>site files) and as long as it is properly named it will appear as your banner without your having to do anything else.
Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Cheryl Thom -
Ok - first the simple version - I've uploaded the image in the frontpage - site files, but it is not showing up in the logo spot - the moodle logo is showing up there, am I missing a step?
When I switched to t his 'theme' I don't like how big the titles of the blocks show up - is this the only way it will look if I want to go this route?

For the not simple version...
when you say I need to get to the theme files on the server, is this where I have to go through our cpanel and get into the file manager, and find a moodle folder?
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Cooch -
Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Testers Bilde av Translators
When you uploaded your banner did you rename it logo.gif or logo.jpg according to what it was? And then you will probably have to do a forced refresh to get your pc to see the changed file. You can add your banner to other themes or even upload brand new themes from Moodle's themes database (click the tab above here downloads) But yes - to do that you would go into your moodle folder and find the themes folder and you would either upload a new theme there or edit the files to adapt a pre-installed theme. If you look in the docs there is a lot of information on editing themes.This for instance tells you which part of the code to change if you want to add your logo to a theme other than standardlogo
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
Hi Cheryl,

To answer your question. Yes you need to access your Moodle theme folder via cPanel if that is the way you access your files generally. I use FTP...but that's because I prefer to work on my theme changes on my PC and upload them back to the server.

Mary has described a 'quick fix' to get some sort of Corporate presence on your Moodle site. But that is all it is a 'quick fix'.

The best way forward would be for you to select a new Theme from the list HERE There are quite a number of themes listed, some are more complex than others, but at the end of the day it's what you like and what fits in with the scheme of things for your Moodle site. Be sure to select those themes which are suitable for the version of Moodle you have installed on your Web Server.

Once selected save the Zip file to your desktop then upload it via cPanel and install it into the Theme folder on your Moodle site. You can then select the theme from within Moodle in the normal way via Site Administration, which you sound like you are familiar with already.

Depending on the theme you choose, changing the Logo can be pretty easy as it is called up into the header of the page through the style sheet, a specific file type ending with .css

If you read THIS THREAD you will see the various questions which can be asked by Moodlers who want to know how to add a new logo or how to change a background color. Most themes have a thread where problems like these are ironed out, and solutions found. It's rather a good way of testing a theme too, as I have found.

There are plenty of Moodle Docs to help with customising themes too. CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming in general.

Hope this all helps?

Mary

Som svar til Mary Evans

av Cheryl Thom -
HI Mary,

Thanks for the help, wow this is a big learning curb!! I'm new to being a moodle admin.

I'm just wondering, if I wanted to 'test' out a theme, rather than uploading it to our live site - in case something goes wrong (we have active courses right now, and throughout the Summer, so it is hard to take our site down for any period of time to work on. Is there a way to set up a test site, and 'play around' in it with features - such as these theme choices, and then just transfer it over to our live site?

What do people typically do when making changes if they don't want it to go live until they know it is what they want?
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Frank Ralf -
Hi Cheryl,

For live analyzing, changing and testing use Firebug. For a slightly more permanent option use Stylish. Both options will apply the changes only on your private computer so only you will see them. With those tool you can customize _any_ Website to your personal preferences - without any uploads and the like!

hth
Frank

And as Mary already has said: CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming and a bunch of useful tools.

Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
Cheryl:

There are two ways you can go about customising a theme without it going live. The first and best way is to set up a local server on your own PC (or MAC) using Moodle for Windows (or Moodle for Mac OS X). Both are fully documented on how to install.

Another way is by the addition of a simple line of code added to your site's config.php (NOT your theme's config.php as this is different). You can read about how it works in this thread HERE.

Hope this answers another few questions?

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck at any point about customising your theme, or using Moodle for Windows, as there are a good number of people who can give you some good advice with anything Moodle!

Mary E
Som svar til Mary Evans

av Cheryl Thom -
Now that I've got my test site working on my own computer (windows version), I downloaded a theme that I found on here, and unzipped it and uploaded it to the moodle/themes folder, it shows up in the folder, but it does not show up when I go into admin/appearance/theme selector - only the standard themes are still there. I logged out and relogged in, that didn't work, I 'stopped' moodle and 'started' moodle again, and it still doesn't show up. It is in the theme folder, so how do I get it to show up as an option to select?
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
Hi Cheryl,

When you click Start Moodle, does it ask if you want to refresh the server? If so enter the number 1, this will refresh your current Moodle folders and hopefully the Theme will show up.

May I ask what theme you uploaded? Whichever theme you added, you added it into the correct folder, so that can't be the problem, but just check to see that the theme name is in lower-case lettering and has no spaces, just to be on the safe side.

Mary
Som svar til Mary Evans

av Mary Cooch -
Also (and I know because I have done this several times myself) make sure when you unzipped it you haven't got the theme folder inside another theme folder - or else it won't recognise it and won't work.
Som svar til Mary Cooch

av Cheryl Thom -
Hi there,

the theme is just in the theme folder - not inside another theme folder.
The theme I chose is called 'ltbluehover' and it is all lower case, no spaces. However, when I downloaded it, it came with two files, one called the name 'ltbluehover' and one called '_MACOSX', I've put both into the theme folder, and still nothing shows up. When I 'stop' moodle, and then 'start' moodle again, it does not ask if I want to refresh the server - is that the problem, and how would i refresh the server?

Thanks
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Cooch -
Cheryl are you sure you got the one called ltbluehover19x and not the one for Moodle 2? I ask because - checking out the links, the one for Moodle 2 is called ltbluehover as you say but the one for Moodle 1.9 is called as I said above. (The MACOSX is for Macs btw)
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
Hi Cheryl,

Edit: I'm adding this to the top as I forgot to put it in the comment before I posted it.
YOu asked about refreshing the server. I'm having similar problems with the Windows Moodle package I installed on my own computer last night. For a while it kept asking me if I wanted to refresh the server, indicating that you had to enter the number 1. This refreshed my server and all was well. Today however it's a different ball game and the refresh server doesn't appear.

End Edit-----------

Ok back to the main part of the comment...

You can safely delete the _MACOSX folder, Cheryl, as it is not needed. Also look inside your ltbluehover theme folder and delete the .DS Store file, as that's another MAC file and not needed.

After that, if you still can't locate this theme in your Theme Selector...then I would delete the theme too since it must have a bug somewhere in the code. I had the same problem trying to install the Moodle 2.0 version of this same theme with no luck what so ever.

I'd go for another theme if I were you. New School Learning have some very simple themes that are FREE, and which you can always customise to suit your corporate style later, when you feel confident.

Mary E

Som svar til Mary Evans

av Cheryl Thom -
Ok, I'll try another theme. I downloaded the one for version two, and they are both called the same file name, so maybe that is the problem, maybe the download supplied is really for moodle 2, even though is says 1.9.

I'll try another one and see how that goes!
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Cheryl Thom -
Oh, and what should I do about the refresh server problem?

I just downloaded 'simplicity' from the newshchool link you gave me, and unzipped it to my themes folder, but still not showing up in my admin, theme selector spot, so I 'stopped' and 'started' moodle again, but the option to refresh is not coming up.

Any suggestions?
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
The best thing to do is STOP Moodle. Delete the cache from you web browser. Open the Server folder. Locate the tmp folder open it and select all the files in that folder and delete them. (this is the servers temporary files).

Re start Moodle and navigate to your Moodle site on you PC (if you bookmarked it) other wise put http://127.0.0.1/ in the browser address.

Login to Moodle and try to locate your new theme in Theme Selector.

Hopefully it will work.

Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Mary Evans -
There is a distinct difference between Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0.

Moodle 2.0 doesn't have any html files in it they are all php files and are stored in the layout folder.
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Chris Collman -
Bilde av Documentation writers
Cheryl,
I do not see which version of Moodle you are working with (I have only had 1 cup of coffee so I am not really sharp on my day off). Mary is giving you some tender care and I only wish I had made posts in this forum years ago because I was/am? right where you are smiler

Moodle 2.0 themes will not work with previous versions and pre 2.0 themes will not work in Moodle 2.0 . Basically, 2.0 will not recognize them, even if they are in the theme folder just like they should be.

When you look at the theme list on moodle.org, I strongly suggest you use the search function , use the Requirement pulldown menu and only look at themes for your version of Moodle. There are only 2 themes this morning that say they are for 2.0.

In MoodleDocs, I compiled a gallery of screen shots for themes which come with the standard package in 1.9.8 (see Standard themes.

I will also add that a localhost install of a 2.0 Preview 3 can be a little frustrating. On the positive side, I have 18 complete install packages (individual webservers) loaded on my home XP machine, each in their own folder (ie Moodle_20_3, Moodle15, Moodle19_8, and etc). I also have 4 localhost webservers I created by downloading a package from XAMPP. In these I attempt to create a production look alike website. One of these has 4 different versions of Moodle, plus a MediaWiki and many html pages.

Best to both you and Mary,

Chris
Som svar til Chris Collman

av Mary Evans -
Hi Chris, Just to say Cheryl is using Moodle 1.9.8 which is in this thread in Instalation Problems. Cheryl is now trying to get a theme working on Moodle for Windows but suffering, like we all are, with the cache stopping the theme from being seen.

Having used XAMPP yourself is there a quick way to clear the cache?

Mary

Som svar til Mary Evans

av Jon Witts -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
Hi Mary,

I have come across a number of theme issues being caused by the Windows Complete Installers caching files on the server side of the set-up; but, having never used the Complete Install packages I have not been able to help much.

So I have decided to "bite the bullet" and have installed Windows XP as a virtual server on my Ubuntu box at home, and am currently downloading the latest Windows Complete 1.9.8 version of Moodle to it.

I will follow the install instructions here: Complete_install_packages_for_Windows and post back when I have some details regarding turning off the caching...

I seem to remember it having something to do with the PHP accelerator that installs with the package...

Jon
Som svar til Jon Witts

av Jon Witts -
Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
OK,

So it is the eAccelerator in the XAMPP install that causes the issues.

If you open the php.ini file inside of the server\php folder from your install in notepad and search for "eAccelerator" you should see a line that reads: extension=eaccelerator.dll

insert a semi-colon at the start of this line so it now reads: ;extension=eaccelerator.dll

and then restart moodle. You should now find that all of your changes to your css are reflected immediately.

Jon
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering:Useful (2)
Som svar til Jon Witts

av Mary Evans -
Jon,

You are a gem! Thanks so much for taking the time to do all that just to solve this problem which has been hovering about these forums. This little 'hack' did the trick.

Many, many thanks

Mary
Som svar til Mary Evans

av Jon Witts -
Mary,

No worries; glad I could help...

I suppose the only thing left is to get it added to the docs so that we can point people in the right direction in future...

I might add it to the Windows Complete Install doc page, but it might be better off somewhere else instead...

Chris, do you have any suggestions as to where this might best be in the docs?

Jon
Som svar til Jon Witts

av Mary Evans -
You must be a mind reader Jon!
How about Themes FAQ - Moodle Doc page?

Since it's whilst customizing a theme where the cache is the problem.

Cheers

Mary
Som svar til Mary Evans

av Frank Ralf -
Thanks Jon for this great tip! I added a link to this thread to Themes FAQ#See also for the time being.
Som svar til Frank Ralf

av Chris Collman -
Thanks Frank, I tweak the Theme FAQ entry so I could find itsmiler Great TIP Jon and another example of a thread opening up some unexpected doors to understanding.

Chris
Som svar til Chris Collman

av Mary Evans -
Thanks boys!

cheerleader.gif

Mary
Som svar til Cheryl Thom

av Chris Collman -
Hi Patrick,
Cheryl's post should be a common one as 2.0 gets closer. Pre 2.0 Moodles had a Standardlogo theme where a user could place their logo in the Front Page files and the logo at the top changed.

Is this going to one of the standard themes in 2.0 ? Regardless of the actual colors (start with standard, maybe do serenity version later), placing a logo image at the top, instead of or in addition to text (site name), is tricky for people like me. But give me an example and I can tweak it.

I see Mary is helping Cheryl work through some other issues in this thread.

Thanks for all your efforts in Moodle 2.0 theme development!!!

Chris