Editor in Firefox gets "tired"

Editor in Firefox gets "tired"

by Graeme Starke -
Number of replies: 6
I notice a few others are having problems with the html editor.
I am using Firefox and editing many html resources over and over.
The editor loads properly a few times and then fails to load.
You can see it "hesitating" most times with a half sized window before the full editor window opens. After a few edits it fails to open up and you get just text in a form which is very hard to follow and edit.
What is interesting is that clearing the cache seems to reset the system and it is good for a few more edits.
I have also found that running print and print preview on the page does seem to hasten the problem.
Other observations are that it depends on the resource being edited.
One resource/file could fail to open, but trying another it works fine ... for a few tries and then that resource/file also seems to "tire" of the editor.

The problem also happens with IE8 but is far worse - I really only get a couple of edits on a resource. It also appears to be machine independent - it happens on all (my 1.6Ghz laptop and a desktop 2.4Ghz - both with Windows XP)

I am using Firefox 3.6.3 (which I think is the latest) and Moodle 1.9.8.
The problem seemed to start with update to this latest version of Moodle (from 1.9.3)

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graeme Starke

Re: Editor in Firefox gets "tired"

by Graeme Starke -
Does anyone have some possible suggestions for this please?

by Graeme Starke -
I still don't seem to have anyone prepared to bit into this one.
There is an obvious interplay between Firefox and it's cache and the html editor in moodle. Is anyone else finding problems with the html editor "failing" after a few edits?
Can anyone please suggest any way of solving this other than clearing the cache every few minutes?
Thanks

by Itamar Tzadok -
I'm not using this version so I can't really tell. I can only suggest upgrading to 1.9.9 (if that's not the version you already upgraded to) in the hope that the problem will go away but I'm not using that version either so no guarantee. Sorry I can't be more helpful. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Graeme Starke -
Thanks for the thought. The problem started on the upgrade to 1.9.8, but I have a fair bit of custom stuff that means an upgrade is quite a bit of work.
Has anyone experienced this with 1.9.8 and seen a change with 1.9.9?

by Aaron Johnson -
We are using 2.0 and having the same problem (using firefox). We just go in, clear the cache and it reappears (after you go out of the moodle page you were in and click edit again." I hope they figure this out as our faculty are going to be super confused when this thing disappears on them.

by Aaron Johnson -
We are on 1.9.9 now and still having the same problem.