Online users block - can users hide? set to be offline? invisible?

Online users block - can users hide? set to be offline? invisible?

by Itay Ophir -
Number of replies: 11
Hello,

Is there a way for users to set that they will not be listed as "online" in the "online users block" ? (mostly teachers and admin's but also students if possible)

The need comes from teachers of very large courses that would like to be "offline" while they are working on the site (building content and such) or during specific times where they do not want students to know they are online.

Thanks,
Itay Ophir

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Itay Ophir

Re: Online users block - can users hide? set to be offline? invisible?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Is it essential that you have the block at all?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Itay Ophir -

Hello Mary,

Yes, it is very essential in our moodle setting to have the online users block.

We are a distance learning university, so facilitating the communication between students is an essential thing we want to do.

Some teachers requested to ability to "hide" their online status for a period of time while they are busy with editorial work on the site. They do not want the students to feel they are ignoring them when the students send them online messages.

Any suggestions on how to do so will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Itay

In reply to Itay Ophir

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Itay,

They can simply click on the "eye" to temporarily hide the block while they're doing editorial work... and explain in advance to the students that this will happen from time to time and that students should just be patient. I don't think they'll feel ignored if they know the teacher is working for them in private.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Itay Ophir -

Hello Glenys,

First let me say that I look at this from a very wide angle of tens of thousands of students, hundreds of teachers and hundreds of courses all in one huge university moodle site. saying that, here are my thoughts:

I think that it shouldn't be necessary to hide the entire block and take away communication functionality from everyone in the course just because one person wants to be hidden for a while.

Plus, I would go further and provide the "hide/invisible" functionality to everyone - students, editing teachers, teachers, admins, etc. (with the option for the teacher/admin to control that in the course setting)

These days almost all social sites/apps/environments have the option to "hide" yourself for whatever reason you may have.

Facebook - hide in chat,

MSN Messenger - invisible/offline status

Yahoo messenger - invisible / offline status

Moodle, as I understand is a social constructivist learning environment where learning is happening in a social manner - blogs, forums, etc'. I believe that in such an environment a person/students/teacher should be given the ability to "hide" himself for a while. just like in real life when we don't answer the phone if we are busy reading/learning or anything like that.  

Thanks,

Itay Ophir

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itay Ophir

by Shimon Nagar -
I agree with you Itay,
I think it's trivial and most important for a user to be able to change his apparent status especially for teachers.
In reply to Shimon Nagar

by Craig Drayton -

Hi all,

Has any progress been made on this point?

We are having this discussion now - some users don't wish to appear in the online users block but we don't wish to remove the online block.

Cheers,

Craig

In reply to Itay Ophir

by Daniel Phillips -

I agree.

We have had various requests from staff and students to have an option to hide their online status.

We would like to have the Online Users block enabled to create that sense of "online community", however the "privacy" issue may mean removing the block altogether which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

I think it should be an option you can change on 'Edit Profile' page.

In reply to Itay Ophir

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Itay!

After 1.5 years, I believe this is now solved. Please read:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193840

Enjoy!
Frankie Kam, Malaysia. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have checked Frankie Kam's posts on the Lounge forum (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193877#p844633), the General plugins forum (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193840) and on his blog (http://moodurian.blogspot.ca/2012/01/how-your-moodle-users-can-hide.html).

Frankie's invisible or stealth solution is excellent and I would like to be able to use it. To have it implemented on our site, I will have to ask our computing people but, before I do so, could someone tell me if Frankie's solution works with Moodle 2.9 and Moodle 3, and if there has been any modifications since 2012?

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dominique

Did you manage to implement it on Moodle version 2.9 or higher? I haven't touched this since 2012, LOL!

Regards
Frankie Kam 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Ambrish Tiwari -

Hi Frankie,

I tried it on Moodle 3.3.1+ and its working good.

Regards

Ambrish Tiwari